Lightning storm last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We had the weirdest storm last night, that I think I've ever seen in North Devon.
I was woken up at about 2am by flashes of sheet lightning.
The lightning flashes were extremely intense and numerous, averaging about 3 or 4 a second for over an hour. We didn't have any rain during this period and there were only a couple of rumbles of thunder.
It was so unusual that we opened the curtains, sat up in bed and enjoyed the show.
I've never experienced anything like this before; the sheer intensity and quantity of strikes was amazing and the lack of thunder was just weird!
The storm eventually passed at about 3.20am.
Did anyone else see it?

Drago

Legendary Member
I love a good storm. I guess my love of wild weather was ingrained during my early childhood in Shetland.

Looks like a good storm brewing here. I hope.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I love a good storm. I guess my love of wild weather was ingrained during my early childhood in Shetland.

Looks like a good storm brewing here. I hope.
If it's anything like the one we had last night you'll enjoy it.:okay:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I was in a tent with my youngest. Proper Somerset rain with disco lights followed by some serious thunder. First thing she mentioned this morning.
Looking at the storm radar last night, it appeared that the main body of the storm went up the Bristol channel and towards South Wales.

We had a brilliant storm in two sections, one about 04:00 and one about 04:30

Not as spectacular as some of the above, but well worth being up for

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We had the weirdest storm last night, that I think I've ever seen in North Devon.
The lightning flashes were extremely intense and numerous, averaging about 3 or 4 a second for over an hour. We didn't have any rain during this period and there were only a couple of rumbles of thunder.
It was so unusual that we opened the curtains, sat up in bed and enjoyed the show.
I've never experienced anything like this before; the sheer intensity and quantity of strikes was amazing and the lack of thunder was just weird!
Did anyone else see it?
Not yet today, but thunderstorms are due to hit us later on so we may get something like that.

I did experience the same kind of incredible lightshow about 25 years ago from up here in Yorkshire. It was very spectacular but my view was obscured by the hill behind my house so I walked up to the summit to get a clear view. Virtually the whole of distant Lancashire was being lit up by immense flashes every second or so. I thought that the War of the Roses had broken out again!

irw

Quadricyclist
Not yet today, but thunderstorms are due to hit us later on so we may get something like that.

I did experience the same kind of incredible lightshow about 25 years ago from up here in Yorkshire. It was very spectacular but my view was obscured by the hill behind my house so I walked up to the summit to get a clear view. Virtually the whole of distant Lancashire was being lit up by immense flashes every second or so. I thought that the War of the Roses had broken out again!

There was lightning, so you decided to go for a walk up a hill? :wacko:

Reminds me of a time a couple of years ago when I was driving back to Liverpool after a late shift at the Buxton Opera House- As I was heading over the Cat & Fiddle, there was a great view of a storm in the distance. That's very pretty I thought- then realised I was probably in the highest metal object for a considerable distance...:blink:

Did anyone else see it?
I`m in west Devon and the silent flashing started at about 11pm and carried on until about 3am, an amazing display I was leaning out of the window watching it, just non stop fork lightning, just the odd rumble thrown in, and a couple of showers of hailstones which sounded like marbles hitting the house! Most amazing storm I`ve ever seen

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There was lightning, so you decided to go for a walk up a hill? :wacko:
It was about 40 miles away, but lighting up the entire quadrant of the night sky to the NW.

I was talking to my stepdaughter recently and she reminded me of a time that we were on holiday in Cornwall. We were walking the coastal path near Land's End with her mum and gran. It was a beautiful summer day but I suddenly spotted something extremely alarming out at sea ... There was a concentrated storm system with huge lightning bolts zapping out of ominous black clouds. It was horribly fascinating, but then I realised that it was blowing towards us ... FAST! I grabbed hold of stepsprog's hand and shouted to ma and gran to get down off the cliffs NOW. We ran down to a little cove and cringed behind some big rocks as lightning started blasting the path which we had been standing on a few minutes earlier! :eek:

Top Bottom