Lightning storm last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Quite a significant rise in lightning strikes in last couple of hours - getting nearer

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Looking at the storm radar last night, it appeared that the main body of the storm went up the Bristol channel and towards South Wales.
It mostly went the Welsh side of the channel, we had a couple of really loud cracks and bangs but nothing like the ones my eldest had in Cardiff!
IMG_2468.jpg

Screenshot taken at 4:30 this morning.

Tommy2

Über Member
Our storm is here right now, not so many lightening flashes but the thunder is literally a constant rumble with louder rumbles thrown in for good measure.
I don't think I've ever heard a thunder storm like this.

Gert Lush

Oh man, it was crazy last night! Huge claps of thunder, one was especially loud, almost deafening. Lightening non stop for a good 30mins or so. The rain was lashing down. I was a bit annoyed that I'd parked in my car port because I have this really irritating bird poo on my windscreen that I can't get off with just the wiper blades!

It was great.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Reminds me of a time a couple of years ago when I was driving back to Liverpool after a late shift at the Buxton Opera House- As I was heading over the Cat & Fiddle, there was a great view of a storm in the distance. That's very pretty I thought- then realised I was probably in the highest metal object for a considerable distance...:blink:

Faraday cage

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always wondered if it's safe to go out riding in a thunderstorm. You can be taller than a car on some bikes.
Seriously? :whistle:

A teenager was hit by lightning near my sister's local shops and he was surrounded by tall buildings. I wouldn't go thinking that you are safe if something nearby is higher than you!

Don't mess with lightning ... Statistically, it might be unlikely that you will be hit by lightning, but that is only because most people are sensible enough to avoid the risk in the first place.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Seriously? :whistle:

A teenager was hit by lightning near my sister's local shops and he was surrounded by tall buildings. I wouldn't go thinking that you are safe if something nearby is higher than you!

Don't mess with lightning ... Statistically, it might be unlikely that you will be hit by lightning, but that is only because most people are sensible enough to avoid the risk in the first place.
I meant you might be more likely to get hit if you're higher than surrounding cars.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I feel lucky to have experienced it. Certainly the most intense lightening I've ever seen. If I'm honest, i was scared to start with, big flashes every second or so for an hour. I thought it was the end of the world.

Top Bottom