Lightning storm last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shirokazan

Veteran
...I wouldn't go thinking that you are safe if something nearby is higher than you!
Too true - lightning takes the path of least resistance and that's not necessarily the tallest thing nearby. Human beings are 70% water and water is an extremely good conductor of electricity. Whilst on your bike, rainwater alone can make you and the bike a direct and easy route to earth for lightning.

Didn't get that around me. but we did get the almost 'bliblical' rain this afternoon (circa 13:00?)

We had the windows open, for the heat (& air circulation), we had to move patients/shut windows as it was blowing in, & soaking them, & leaving puddles on the floors
In the A&E staff room, rain was wind-driven, & actually wet a Sister who was sat over 15 foot from the window that was open!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I realised that, but what I meant was - don't feel safe just because you are standing next to a double decker bus or a big truck! :okay:
I was under the impression that the advice in a lightning storm was to get low, because lightning tends to strike the tallest object around.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We had the weirdest storm last night, that I think I've ever seen in North Devon.
I was woken up at about 2am by flashes of sheet lightning.
The lightning flashes were extremely intense and numerous, averaging about 3 or 4 a second for over an hour. We didn't have any rain during this period and there were only a couple of rumbles of thunder.
It was so unusual that we opened the curtains, sat up in bed and enjoyed the show.
I've never experienced anything like this before; the sheer intensity and quantity of strikes was amazing and the lack of thunder was just weird!
The storm eventually passed at about 3.20am.
Did anyone else see it?
I was near Bristol (Almondsbury) and got woken up around 3am by the loudest crack of thunder I can remember. But just one boom and a quick smattering of rain.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I'm trying to say "do your best not to go there"! :okay:

If you are caught out by a freak storm, fair enough - you have to deal with it, but do your best to avoid such a problem.

How to Protect Yourself in a Thunderstorm.
I wonder, if you were quick enough, if you took your bike tyre off and then sat inside it, if that would afford some protection.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
didn't see a single flash of lightning, but the constant rumbles of thunder for twenty minutes was great. We coped admirably with the rain in the beer garden, until that really loud crack of thunder quickly followed by torrential rain... and all of a sudden, the beer garden was empty.

Top Bottom