Lights.... but not the usual

Which light is more important?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Front probably.

I've been sat at the front of sets of red lights and there's been a cyclist facing me the opposite way. Only I didn't notice them because they were positioned between the set of car lights behind them.

It's the competition thing between lights from vehicles around which can make it difficult for drivers to spot when pulling out of a junction or turning across your path.

I'd say generally you're more likely to be seen by drivers going in the same direction.

potsy

Rambler
I always feel more vulnerable from vehicles pulling out from side streets into my path than I do from getting hit from behind, so on that basis I would go for the front.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't cycle behind me commuting as my lights are daytime visible for when in poor conditions using a dual carriageway. I wouldn't use my lights when with other cyclists, and use other stuff.

Rear light in my opinion would be more important. If I had to choose just one.

Where I live, all the roads are well lit, so I don't really need a front light to see where I am going. And, to be honest, it is unlikely that a car coming the other way would not see me and also be so far over on my side of the road as to run into me.

More likely then that any danger would come from a car coming up behind me, that might fail to see me and might run me down.

So I guess that you could say that a rear light is more important.

But in reality I would always want both front and rear lights. Always.

uclown2002

Guru
Where I live, all the roads are well lit, so I don't really need a front light to see where I am going. And, to be honest, it is unlikely that a car coming the other way would not see me and also be so far over on my side of the road as to run into me.

More likely then that any danger would come from a car coming up behind me, that might fail to see me and might run me down.

So I guess that you could say that a rear light is more important.

But in reality I would always want both front and rear lights. Always.

You don't have any side roads? Or maybe you don't perceive any dangers from cars pulling out in front of you?

You don't have any side roads? Or maybe you don't perceive any dangers from cars pulling out in front of you?

We don't have many side roads, or all that many cars around after dark for that matter, but if a car came out of a side road, at least I would see it coming. Unlike cars coming up from behind.

But, in any event, I concluded my post by saying that I would always want both front and rear lights.

gilespargiter

Veteran
Like most others, if I had to choose it would be a back light. Most nights I wouldn't get far through these Welsh hills without a good front light as well. I do long distances through them at night, so it has to be a dynamo light.

This subject gets me on one of my hobby horses; the cycle lighting laws and supplies in the UK are a scandalous shambles.

For one thing, I think that any light sold in a cycle shop and any light sold with attachments for cycle fitting should legally have to be type approved for cycle lighting. Shockingly this counts out nearly all lights currently sold in the UK.

Personally I think we should adopt (with one exception) the German cycle lighting laws. These are a well thought out evidence based series of laws, which are consistently applied. They include specific requirements for beam patterns and brightness. The exception that I mentioned is flashing rear lights. Although it is very well authenticated by research concerning the brain physiology of our visual perception system and also by road traffic research that a light flashing full on and full off at between 60 and 250 flashes/minute will attract our attention most. The German laws although acknowledging this, prefer to reserve flashing lights on moving vehicles for emergency services only.
In the UK you are allowed to use a light flashing in this way - as long as it has no other light function or is an additional light.
Accordingly I carry both a flashing and a steady rear light.

Additionally I think the laws on what reflectors are carried where, should, as with other road vehicles be specified and type approved. The miscellaneous hotch potch of reflectors that cycle luggage manufacturers and cycling "shiny bits" suppliers come up with mean that it is not always easy to see at a glance whether a cycle is coming, going or is about to launch for the moon. Yet this is important for quick subliminal assessment of a vehicle's direction and speed.
If I remember correctly the UN guidelines on this are the clearest and most categorical: Red ONLY to the rear White ONLY to the front and Orange/Amber ONLY to the side.

Lights and reflectors to these specifications can most easily and cheaply be obtained from European cycle suppliers such as "Rose cycles" of Germany or "Dutch bike bits" where you will find them listed under "Parts" and not "Accessories" - which says it all really.

Rant over.....

Top Bottom