Lights.... but not the usual

Which light is more important?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

OK the dark commute is truly here so I ask the question which do you think is more important on an urban commute front or rear as a lot of the rear lights people seem to have are as bright as a match whereas the front is blinding

amaferanga

Veteran
Equally important.

uclown2002

Guru
OK the dark commute is truly here so I ask the question which do you think is more important on an urban commute front or rear as a lot of the rear lights people seem to have are as bright as a match whereas the front is blinding

Can you only afford one or the other?

ShipHill

One guy round here had a front light on the back of his bike for a while.... pointing backwards I should add just in case anyone thinks it's on the seat tube pointing forwards. I wanted to sellotape a red sweetie wrapper over it. :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Rear. I can see what's coming from the front and take evasive action if needed. I don't always know exactly what's behind me so it's more important to be visible. Traffic coming from behind needs to see me to overtake safely whereas traffic approaching from the front should be on the other side of the road and nowhere near me anyway.

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

my commute is down unlit lanes so bright front and rear x2 of each very important
Mines down an industrial estate but the council likes to turn the street lights off for some inane reason so on these occasions bright front is needed to see where the latest potholes and left straps

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

Rear. I can see what's coming from the front and take evasive action if needed. I don't always know exactly what's behind me so it's more important to be visible. Traffic coming from behind needs to see me to overtake safely whereas traffic approaching from the front should be on the other side of the road and nowhere near me anyway.
My thoughts exactly

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

That thinking is flawed. You may see things from the front but what about the driver about to pull out from your left, who can't see you travelling at speed.
I'm not saying not to have a front light but still think the rear is more important evasive action is always easier if you see it

Ern1e

Über Member
I run two lights up front and three on the rear end, and one on the front and rear of my helmet so that these can be seen over the tops of walls and parked cars,but if I had to state which was more important then it would be rear as @winjim says you can take evasive action from the front !

Top Bottom