lights to see by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Bought a 1000 lumen rechargeable front lamp from Maplin for £40 last year. Does 1000, 500 & 100 lumen brightness plus flash mode. Totally weatherproof & the battery pack, about the size of a pack of 20 fags will velcro pretty much anywhere on the front of your steed. Did me well last winter over urban & unlit rural roads; even had a cabbie swear at me 'cos it was too bright - !:eek: Result - !:wahhey:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
This is far from a result.. more like unsociable behavior more like. There is not much worse then cyclists with far too bright lights that are not dipped.
You've hit the nail on the head there, Ian. Can't believe how many people fix their lights horizontally on the bars instead of dipping them to show the road in front of them. If you are only using lights to make yourself seen, you don't need particularly bright ones. If you need really bright ones to see the road ahead, aim them at the road, not into other people's eyes.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
To return to the original point, though, there are loads of great rechargeable lights out there. But don't trust the blurb about how long they last. If you are doing a lengthy night ride, I would suggest carrying a battery powered back-up that will fit in the same cradle/fixing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just do a search on the forum for "lights". The mega powerful stuff has to be pointed right at the floor when in traffic. Most are off road lights.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What light you look for should be decided, as well as illumination, by how long you need it to work for and what powers it.
If you want one that you use for commuting or local/town riding, you could possibly go for USB charging. If it's for off-roading in the wilds, go for battery driven lights.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Removable, rechargeable lights.

My usual recommendation on these threads is the Smart 700.

Mine is still going strong and giving good service in pitch dark riding.

Lightweight, compact, allows for side spill of light, hooded and set to not be a PITA to others when set even horizontally and comparatively dirt cheap too.

As ever my one minor reservation is that the bar mount is not the best out there.

I use the cateye volt 300 for slower biking in dark or happily at any pace dusk & dawn time.

doog

What are the best bike lights to see by? I think I would prefer rechargeable ones and not mega expensive. Appreciate your thoughts...

Exposure Joystick...still going strong after years of cycling and every other use you can throw at a quality bit of kit.

For the rear Smart 1/2 watt ......

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
I would only be using the lights for about an hour or so for quick training runs once the kids are in bed. It will mainly be on unlit roads so I need something so I can avoid the potholes! Have heard good things on here about the Smart 700, and they look good value, but nowhere seems to have them in stock at the moment? Have they been replaced by a newer model or something?

DRHysted

Guru
Busch and Muller Ixon iq or Ixon iq premium , I have an Ixon iq and it's more than up to the job,look here for a video review of both lights .

+1

The really good thing about this light is that the light is projected onto the road via a mirror. Which gives a definite beam pattern, the same as you get from a car.

Top Bottom