Lights....you paid how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ladep Rewop

At the front a Schmidt SON 28 dynamo hub powering an Edelux LED headlight and a Lezyne SuperDrive XL, if I have a mechanical or puncture I can use the Lezyne as a torch. At the back a Smart Lunar RL317R 1 Watt rear light together with a Cateye TL-LD600 Superbright 5 LED.

Hope 1 which is still good after 5 years worth of use and a Smart LED for the rear light also about 4 years old. Both working as new about £100 in total when bought.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Shimano DH-3N80 dyno hub £60
Philips Safe Ride £70
Ebay XML-U2 Torch £9.99
(+ £25 of UK sourced batteries and charger)
Couple of Smart 1/2 watts on the back £10/each

I also own a Hope V1 but the ebay torch is so much better: monstrously more powerful, similar battery life, well sealed against water ingress, perfect beam shape, just 3 modes to cycle through.

+ Small headtorch for mechanicals and route sheet reading if long night section anticipated.

£250 total

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Electron double 8 LED with rechargeable sealed battery pack and 2 Cateye 5 LED on front
1 double row 10 LED one bar 5 LED and one 3 LED (all Cateye) on rear
Mind you I did then clear out the local bike shops supply of spare brackets so that they fit all my bikes without faffing around total around £450 ish a few years back

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Righty. Between me and my lad/family....

Two Hope 1s, had at least 4 years.
Magicshine 808e
Magicshine 818 x 2 (rear)
Generic t6 clone
Triple T6 off road light
Yinding Twin U2
Solarstorm twin U2
Mini U2 with side halo x2 (winter commutes)
4 x Decathlon v100 USB backups
2x C&B Seen 500 rear lights (about 200 lumen)

4 x Planet X Phaart 3w front lights
3 x Planet X Phaart rear lights

Mars 3.0
Mars 4.0
4 x Smart super flash (R1)
2 x Smart R2 (version2)
1 x RSP Astrum (broke two others)
1x RSP twin led (crap and not even slightly shower proof)

And other little backup lights.

As to how much, lots.

This is me arriving at home:

CloseEncounters3.jpg

Sara_H

Guru
I have one of this cree torch things from china, it was about £20 and is excellent for lighting up unlit roads. I also have a couple of Phaart stretchy led lights fron and rear which I think I got in a special offer for about a pound each, and I have a phaart beep on the back which is quite bright compared to all the other rear lights I've got.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I've spent about £40 on all my lighting. I don't do enough night riding to put them through their paces to determine if they are actually any good lol. I did get flashed by a bus from about a mile away though, so they don't lack brightness!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have I got light OCD ?
I like lights but I have managed to curb it better than you!

I have 2x hope 1
2 or 3 electron nano
Lots of smart half watts
Little backup lights
Couple of cat eye ones rear ones mostly
And various others including a couple of flare ones.

Even though I try to limit my spending - completely successful this winter, I can't help looking at others lights when we pass, or even when I'm a passenger in a car, trying to work out which ones I like. Problem is the brighter they are, the harder it is to see the actual light. I've even been known to ask someone whilst waiting at a junction what their light is.

I think it is good to have more than one of a light that you like as then you can have the same brackets on multiple bikes, and if you misplace a light (which I often do), then it's easy to grab another one. Also good to have identical lights for kids to borrow too.

Matt1705

Über Member
I had what u thought was an ok light on the front ( £20ish from halfords). Then I bought a cree t6 and it's amazing!!
Similarly I had a phart rear light from planetx, great light and lasted a while but did fall apart in the end. Now I've got a led one from the same place I got the front one from.

In total probably about £80 spent. :-D

I've got an Exposure Diablo, helmet mounted with a piggy back battery for added burn time and a Maxx D on the handlebars.

I've fitted my old Joystick into a headband which comes in very useful as a hands free head torch. Good kit Exposure stuff.

We do a lot of night riding on narrow lanes. typically 60 miles per week for me and well over 100 miles for dr_pink. In the wet as it was tonight you need the best, a light that will throw a wide beam to see the road edges when descending on twisty roads yet far enough, about 30 m to see any hazards yet not blinding any other vehicle that could be travelling fast towards you, this is essential. I run a Supernova Airstream with Hope Vision 1 as back up and dr_pink has an Exposure Strada [never seen anything better], incredible run times.

Top Bottom