Lights....you paid how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I like my lights.

There I said it.

I get many a complimentary remark from people about having good lights. I see lights on my bike as an investment in my pastime.

At the moment I would estimate my lighting to be valued in the region of £600.00, which includes a few LED fronts and rears along with a SON Schmidt dyno hub and B&M front and rear lights on the Audax bike.

Anyone else a bit 'kit' orientated? Or do you make do with some £7.99 Aldi specials?

inkd

Online bike retailers and e-bay is my friend when it comes to lights. 90% of my cycling is night riding, mostly on unlit roads. So far it`s been hit and miss with lights but im more than happy with my current set up which is estimated £43.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
£15-£20 range for me normally. I don't do any off-roading so a mid-range cateye single shot plus does me well on the rare occasions I ride unlit roads. It was £70-£100 range when I bought it.

Peteaud

Veteran
£50 approx for my lights.

But more and more i will not buy cheap, as i would rather better quality, longer lasting.

That is not to say there is anything wrong with some cheap stuff, my sports direct £6 wicking tops are and have been great.

We have 2 Exposure Joystick lights each* (RRP £150 each, but we have never paid more than £75 a light) because we ride/commute unlit country lanes and also because I do not trust British drivers (of any vehicle type). There are 3 Cateye TL-LD 1100 rear lights between our 6 bikes at £35 each and then the 2 tourers have Schmidt SON 28 dynamo hubs (£150 each 3 years ago) and Schmidt Edelux High Power LED headlight which were £125 each when we purchased them 3 years ago. So I guess I probably fall into the same category...

*Why 2 each, because it was cheaper than a piggy back battery, easier & less restrictive and my commute to my parents' home in winter takes 3.5-4 hours round trip - usually in total darkness, and the battery life is not long enough even dipping when in towns/lit areas or for oncoming vehicles. Also getting a 2nd one each meant that we had extra chargers around because the original charger broke...

MarkF

Guru
Have about £5's worth of lighting on my bike and I commute in winter. I have and wear assorted arm and leg LED bands given away free at cycling events. I see CA magazine has a review of £150 lights in it's Feb issue, I've only three times spent more than that on bicycles!

(My commute is well lit, mostly, busy A roads)

Last edited:
Six quid in Wilkos:

0333027_l.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A medium range Cat Eye for seeing potholes and for when the street lights are off - stingy Glasgow City Council :angry:
An assortment of back and front light to be seen, dinamo back and front on my main commuter.
Probably £ 120 worth between 3 bikes, including lots still in their boxes, excluding the dinamo set up, came with the bike so don't know how much they cost.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Been using cat eye on commuter for years, good reliable light Cree on the road bike for evening rides plus flashing arm and leg bands, about £50 over a few years.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Normal commute lights: 2x Cateye 135's on the front, 2x LD150's on the back.

For unlit roads, a Nano Shot Plus and a 220 go on the front.

Top Bottom