Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littlered

I have a good set of light for my bike. But they are not much good at lighting up the road while cycling on unlit back roads. What do you recommend?;)

domtyler

Über Member
Something brighter.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If you want to light up the road sufficient to go fast, then you will need powerful lights.

The most hassle free, is a Schmidt (?) dynahub. It gives about 3W of light and has fit and forget reliability.

However I don't find it really bright enough to ride at training pace on country lanes without either a centre or edge white line. On the lanes round here I like at least 12W of halogen brightness. Now you are getting more like riding normally instead of peering into the gloom.

As I get a lot of use out of my lights, both on and off road, I have invested in a set of Lumicycles, which are UK made and only available direct from them. There are cheaper (and way more expensive) ones but the Lumicycles are well made and seem to be (after 6 years) a good, long lasting bit of kit.

ash68

agree with Tim Bennet,I have a lumicycle front lamp 12w halogen bulb. lights unlit roads fine and gives 3hr 50 mins between charges.Paid around £145 3 years ago, no problems in that time.Quite expensive,but a good investment. Their website gives full details of all the options possible in the range.

What's your budget Littlered? Lumicycles are pretty much the dogs danglies but cost a fair bit (albeit well worth the investment). There are many cheaper rechargeable systems available, as well as some reasonable battery lights. Give us a price and I'm sure the suggestions will come flooding in.

OP
OP
L

littlered

Um budget that would be the mastercard:ohmy:op

Just something decent so I can see pot holes, stones, glass:angry: I'm too scared to go cycling down country lanes in the dark on my own so my flatmate will be coming with me.

Not really tried out my new lights I just got, not been dark enough at home time.

Just wanted to know what other people use.:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
littlered said:
:blush:Now why didn't I think of that;)

Sorry, couldn't resist! :biggrin:

I use a Dinotte LED myself although I haven't used it yet this year. It lights up the road as if it were day, enabling you to ride at the same pace as during daylight, however, only for an hour or so before have to swap out the rechargeable batteries.

I am toying with the idea of a dynamo hub and wiring it up to a super bright LED or two.

OP
OP
L

littlered

This is my old light
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...tOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003152c003247m005217

This is my new light
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...tOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003152c003247m008204

My last light got slightly damaged when I cycled into a crash barrier :blush:a couple of years ago (was cycling too fast and by the time my flatmate said barrier I was into it already, he knew it was there I didn't. the barrier was down a wee lane I had not been before). I now have to tie wrap it to the bracket:blush:

domtyler

Über Member
Neither of those lights are any good for the purpose you suggesting I regret to say. There are lights to get you seen and lights that let you see, guess which those are?

OP
OP
L

littlered

Thanx I'll have to have a re-think.

I love being out on my bike, but being in the dark down the many country lanes near me is offy scary. :biggrin::ohmy:

Noodley

domtyler said:
Sorry, couldn't resist! :biggrin:

I use a Dinotte LED myself although I haven't used it yet this year. It lights up the road as if it were day, enabling you to ride at the same pace as during daylight, however, only for an hour or so before have to swap out the rechargeable batteries.

I am toying with the idea of a dynamo hub and wiring it up to a super bright LED or two.

I also have Dinotte lights, which use rechargeable (sp?) batteries, which last about 2 - 2.5 hours on low power (I suppose runtime depends on how good the batteries are rather than how good the lights are as the batteries which came with the light only last about an hour) which is sufficient to travel along unlit country roads. The new model which replced the 5W model I have looks very good and has a range of different settings (unlike my model which only has high/low) and appears brighter as well. Available from On-One for £100 (or thereabouts) (edit - see the link provided by domtyler which was posted when I was typing this!) or I suppose direct from Dinotte if you want.

I carry one or two (maybe have to make that three for overnight winter rides) spare battery sets with me for longer night rides, and pre-pack the batteries in spare magazines to save faffing about - just remove one magazine and replace it with a fresh one, very handy for cold fingers.

They are very good lights. It would be better if they had a longer run time I suppose.

Top Bottom