Lightweight bike with hydraulic disc brakes under £2k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ade towell

Hello fairly new to this forum - apologies if this turns into a long rambling post but am looking for a light road bike with hydraulic disc brakes. I already have an alloy cyclocross bike I've just put mudguards on which I use to commute and have been using for 50-100 mile rides at least once a week. Would like something lighter (probably carbon) and a little faster for the longer rides and have gotten too used to hydraulic brakes to go back to rims. Anyway looking for advice, don't really want to go above £2k if I can help it although this here Canyon looks on specs alone to be my dream bike - a bit over budget and with a crazy long wait list though so are there any other bikes a bit cheaper with similar spec and weight?

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/2018/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8-0.html

Will be taking a test ride on this Boardman in a few days at Cycle Republic and at £1600 with 3 years zero interest finance is very tempting. Anyone have experience of this bike? Weight on Cycle Republic website says 7.58 kg but on Boardman site it says 8.3kg - inclined to believe the latter, anyone know the reality?

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-elite-slr-endurance-disc-9-0-mens-road-bike-2016.html

There is also a Canondale Synapse from Evans but they only do a 12 month interest free deal. Again Evans claim it's 8.2kg but remain sceptical when the full Ultegra version on the same site states it's heavier at 8.8kg

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannond...MIlvyhp7381gIVabvtCh1VMgweEAQYAiABEgKDXPD_BwE

Are there any other bikes with similar spec and weight that I should have a look at and are under £2k?

vickster

Legendary Member
If looking at CR, consider joining British Cycling for £37 to save 10%

If buying a bike on credit, make sure it is insured for its full replacement value, including accidental damage

Plenty of credit cards with over 2 years 0%, e.g. Virgin Money which mean you can buy anywhere

Quoted bike weights are nonsense, it'll vary by size and increase when you add pedals, mudguards, saddlebags, bottles and cages, and yourself!

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t get too hung up on weighs, the variables you’re talking about really won’t make any difference. Best to get out and throw a leg over.

OP
OP
A

ade towell

Thanks for all the advice
I realise the weight isn't that important - curious why they differ so much though depending on which site you look at - may get CR to weigh the Boardman when I test ride it
Will definitely look into the British Cycling membership, presume they honour the 10% even after original discount? The 0% finance is with a company CR deal with, need to look into the small print...
That Specialized Tarmac looks good just may be a little race orientated for my 48 year old back, had looked at their Roubaix but expensive for the spec, anyone ridden a Tarmac any long distances?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the advice
I realise the weight isn't that important - curious why they differ so much though depending on which site you look at - may get CR to weigh the Boardman when I test ride it
Will definitely look into the British Cycling membership, presume they honour the 10% even after original discount? The 0% finance is with a company CR deal with, need to look into the small print...
That Specialized Tarmac looks good just may be a little race orientated for my 48 year old back, had looked at their Roubaix but expensive for the spec, anyone ridden a Tarmac any long distances?

Yes you should get the discount I assume even with finance. You just won't on Cycle To Work

I think the marketing teams make the weights up ;)

How about a Cervelo? https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cervelo/C3-105-Disc-Road-Bike-2017/FWDF

OP
OP
A

ade towell

That Cervelo looks nice too - just not sure where I can go and try one
Checked out the British Cycling membership - the £37 gets 10% off Halfords - can't see if that also includes CR? The £22 membership offers 10% off CR but only in london and seems to have expired.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Weights as advertised or usual guesstimates , however spending up to £2k should get something light . Weight does matter , trust me my current CX weights over 10kgs and I can feel it on the hills over my light road bike which is under 8 kgs!! For 2k don’t short change yourself!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That Cervelo looks nice too - just not sure where I can go and try one
Checked out the British Cycling membership - the £37 gets 10% off Halfords - can't see if that also includes CR? The £22 membership offers 10% off CR but only in london and seems to have expired.
Oh maybe it is only in London. They had a flash sale at lunchtime today, 10% off. might be worth signing up to their newsletter in case they do again

Where do you live? Sigma are very close to a station, straight out of Waterloo

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ade towell

I'm in Nottingham, we have an Evans and CR and a few small bike shops.
Yes my cyclocross is over well 11kg with guards and rack on - rode a 7.5kg titanium bike in the French Pyrenees in the summer and found it much easier up the mountains there

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like you have Specialized and Leisure Lakes. Get that Interest Free CC if you don't have the readies and the world is your lobster!

You could look at titanium...Ribble, Planet X, Dolan could have something. Won't likely be as light as carbon, but much nicer to ride in my experience...springy :biggrin:

Check your home insurance details for insuring a bike of that value

OP
OP
A

ade towell

Oh yes forgot about Specialzed they're just round the corner from me but they tend to be expensive for the spec
Believe me I've been looking at titanium since the summer, my friend has 2 £3.5k titanium bikes and both were really lovely to ride and great looking too. Unfortunately they're a bit out of my price rang,e and his light titanium bike - ENigma Echo takes rim brakes, the Kinesis Tripster had hydraulics but was a heavier gravel type bike similar to what I've already got. I want light and hydraulics - hence carbon seems to be the way. Am hoping the ride on carbon isn't too dissimilar to titanium

Top Bottom