Lightweight bike with hydraulic disc brakes under £2k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
Thanks for all the advice
I realise the weight isn't that important - curious why they differ so much though depending on which site you look at - may get CR to weigh the Boardman when I test ride it
Will definitely look into the British Cycling membership, presume they honour the 10% even after original discount? The 0% finance is with a company CR deal with, need to look into the small print...
That Specialized Tarmac looks good just may be a little race orientated for my 48 year old back, had looked at their Roubaix but expensive for the spec, anyone ridden a Tarmac any long distances?

I rode my Tarmac 120 miles on Sat and then another 50 miles the next day. I’m 45 and find it s very comfortable bike, don’t be put off thinking it is a pure race machine, you can set them up very comfortably.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh yes forgot about Specialzed they're just round the corner from me but they tend to be expensive for the spec
Believe me I've been looking at titanium since the summer, my friend has 2 £3.5k titanium bikes and both were really lovely to ride and great looking too. Unfortunately they're a bit out of my price rang,e and his light titanium bike - ENigma Echo takes rim brakes, the Kinesis Tripster had hydraulics but was a heavier gravel type bike similar to what I've already got. I want light and hydraulics - hence carbon seems to be the way. Am hoping the ride on carbon isn't too dissimilar to titanium
They could let you try the Tarmac. They control pricing as a company so should be the same anywhere

I find carbon a bit dead compared to my brief goes on Ti. I'd choose steel over carbon also, indeed I do even though it's heavier (Ti is the one I don't have, the carbon might actually get stripped to built up a Ti frame)

Leisure Lakes sell Cervelo, they don't have the 105 on their website but maybe they could source one

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/bikes/cervelo/endurance-road-bikes/instock/onsale

Or if you like it, you could buy online from Sigma

simon.r

Person
Thanks good to know, may pop over to the Specialized shop and see if they'll let me have a go on one

The staff at the Specialized shop are Nottingham are very helpful.

It was a year or so ago, but they were happy to let me have a 24 hour test ride on a £2k bike, and didn’t pressure me to buy it at all.

Mike!

Guru
My defy advanced pro 1 which has hydraulic discs is at 8.2kg with bottle cages, gps mount and pedals. Standard apart from a carbon railed saddle.

It was about 7.9kg from factory, I love it, very comfortable!

Some good discounts on giants at the moment if you can find your size

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

OP
OP
A

ade towell

Both those Cervelo's look interesting - would probably be more inclined to the R3 as the C3 would be fairly similar to my cyclocross bike. Am just a little concerned with the gear ratio for getting up any decent hills - an 11-25 cassette on 52/36 chainset - is that correct? Had to change my 11-28 to a 11-32 on cyclocross bike cause it was hard work in the Peaks with the 46/36 chainset

StuAff

Both those Cervelo's look interesting - would probably be more inclined to the R3 as the C3 would be fairly similar to my cyclocross bike. Am just a little concerned with the gear ratio for getting up any decent hills - an 11-25 cassette on 52/36 chainset - is that correct? Had to change my 11-28 to a 11-32 on cyclocross bike cause it was hard work in the Peaks with the 46/36 chainset
Easy to swap out both rings and cassette. Both great bikes, for sure. The C3 has 50/34 & 11-28, rear derailleur is the longer cage GS version so will take 11-32 without issue. As for it being too near a CX bike, it isn't really a CX bike, or a gravel bike for that matter- hasn't got the tyre clearance for that- but an endurance bike that can handle a bit of gravel/dirt, in the right conditions. No room for really fat or knobbly tyres. A couple of good write-ups...
http://cyclefit.co.uk/journal/cervelo-c3-review
http://fitwerx.com/cervelo-c3-review-adventure-bike-race-genes/

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ade towell

Thanks for that - was looking more at the R3 I guess because it is closer to the lighter speedier road bike that I'm hoping for - but don't fancy the 52/36 11-25 on the R3 for tackling hills

Anyway will see if they've got both to try at Leisure Lakes

Last edited:

StuAff

Thanks for that - was looking more at the R3 I guess because it is closer to the lighter speedier road bike that I'm looking for - but don't fancy the 52/36 11-25 on the R3 for tackling hills
A few hundred grams- or less- is neither here nor there. According to C+ reviews there's 150g in it between the two. You aren't going to notice that. Out of the box the C3 will be as fast if not faster in most conditions. My Litespeed weighs a fair bit more than my Viner, being Ti rather than carbon, discs, 35mm tyres…Viner feels faster for sure, dances around in a way a gravel bike never will, but it isn't actually faster.

Top Bottom