Lightweight bike with hydraulic disc brakes under £2k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

ade towell

That's mine, I'm a small frame so I guess that saves a little weight! I'm very impressed with it!

have found the 2016 Pro 0 dura ace version at pretty much the same price as the 2017 Pro 1

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6969/GIANT-DEFY-ADVANCED-PRO-0-2016

am not sure which way to go - what will I be gaining with Dura ace compared to Ultegra? The spec is very similar but the Pro 0 has Shimano RS785 Hydraulic Disc, the Pro 1 has RS805 - any noticeable difference there? Am still tempted with the Pro 1 as it has the tubeless tyres and a slightly easier 11-32 cassette for hilly stuff.

vickster

Legendary Member
Same price, better spec seems a no brainer...dura ace hoods are very nice, Ultegra not so much. Cassette can be changed. Assume you've ridden one of them?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
have found the 2016 Pro 0 dura ace version at pretty much the same price as the 2017 Pro 1

am not sure which way to go - what will I be gaining with Dura ace compared to Ultegra? The spec is very similar but the Pro 0 has Shimano RS785 Hydraulic Disc, the Pro 1 has RS805 - any noticeable difference there? Am still tempted with the Pro 1 as it has the tubeless tyres and a slightly easier 11-32 cassette for hilly stuff.

Please check this as I may be wrong but I have an inkling that the 785's are post mount and the 805's are flat mount.

Mike!

Guru

Two main differences, the 2016 will be post mount brakes rather than flat mount and quick release rather than thru axel. The 2017 will be slightly more future proof in that respect but it depends what’s important to you. I’m not sure there’s any difference between the shifters themselves as they are hydraulic ones but could be wrong.

While Dura ace is tempting I think Personally I’d go for the newer tech on the 2017 bike.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Please check this as I may be wrong but I have an inkling that the 785's are post mount and the 805's are flat mount.

Yep I have 785s on my cube CX and they are post mount and huge, don`t think its possible to switch them to flat mount, so assume the frame fitting is different ? Flat mount much neater imo, so would take that into consideration.

Mike!

Guru
Confirming the Shifters are the same on both bikes.

So if you are going for one or the other you are deciding between Dura ace mechs, chainset etc and the later frame with post mount brakes (which are Ice Tech rotors) and thru axel wheels which are setup tubeless

OP
OP
A

ade towell

Thanks all for the clarification, will try and get a test ride on the 2017 Pro 1. CR have got the Boardman in I originally linked to now so will hopefully have a try on that today

OP
OP
A

ade towell

Had a test ride on the Boardman - felt nice and quick and much easier up hills than my cx - not as comfortable a ride though, maybe something to do with 25mm tyres instead of 28mm but also the carbon seat post seemed quite thick - presume you can shim a thinner one for a bit more forgiveness. want to check out the Giant Defy Pro 1 but the Boardman was fun. Out of curioisity got them to weigh it and it came to about 8.5kg with pedals

Velochris

Über Member
Plus one for the Cervleo. Just got mine from Wheelbase.

Bought a reduced Cube Attain carbon disc last year but it felt sluggish.

Only ridden the C3 briefly but feels much better. Not much different than my Bianchi Infinito rim brake bike.

Quality parts as well. Wheels alone will be about 750 and always have the option of adding mudguards.

Must say the pictures don't do it justice. The finish is a gloss dark grey.

Actual weight as supplied in 54cm is 8.2kg, as quoted in reviews.

Top Bottom