Lightweight but spacious tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fandango

It's nearly time to break out the tent for this years continuation of my round the UK tour, but the hills of Yorkshire nearly killed me last year, so I have decided to try and drastically reduce the weight I carry. Any half decent hill and I am walking with the 35KG I usually lug around, OK I like a piece of toast in the morning :-)

The tent I use at the moment is perfect for me but weighs in at 5KG. What I would like is a tent that weighs under 2.5KG but, and here is the main point of the post, it has to have enough headroom so that I can sit up on my Exped Downmat seat. I am 6 feet tall standing btw. I find it very uncomfortable to sit up without the back support offered by this awesome device, but many lightweight tents are like nylon coffins. Some look like they might work, the Duolite for example, but I can't find anywhere in the Southampton area that has these or other good quality tents on display. If anyone knows where I can see this kind of tent in the Southampton area, please tell me where. I don't really want to spend more than £300 but I might for the perfect tent. The Duolite is available for £125 at the moment which seems a good deal here

Does anyone with a lightweight tent use an Exped or Thermarest chair inside their tent without hitting their head on the top of the tent?

PpPete

Legendary Member
The "seedhouse" models from the american brand Big Agnes have a good reputation for high usable volume compared with weight, but only available mail order in UK.

In Southampton area I'd start off having a look to see what GoOutdoors are offering at the moment. I bought a Vaude Ultralight from them at a very good price a while ago, but that may be too small for you.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

The "seedhouse" models from the american brand Big Agnes have a good reputation for high usable volume compared with weight, but only available mail order in UK.

In Southampton area I'd start off having a look to see what GoOutdoors are offering at the moment. I bought a Vaude Ultralight from them at a very good price a while ago, but that may be too small for you.

I looked at the Vaude Taurus Ultralight. Looks a nice lightweight tent Go Outdoors in Southampton are out of stock at the moment sadly. Can you sit up in it with 100-150mm or so above your head for the seat?

I'll check out Seedhouse. Thanks.

dragon72

Guru
I've got a Vaude Taurus Ultralite and, much as I love it and want to praise it, I would say that its only minus-point is vertical space. So I think it's not what you're after.

spriag

I've got a vango spirit 200+.

Pretty much fits your bill. Is pretty light, good sized porch etc. Think if you youtube it theres a video of someone panning a camera around his.

At 6ft you might just be able to sit up in the highest part of the tent. It's not super roomy but has got a bit of head space.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

I called Blacks in Southampton, they don't have any tents on display at all which seems a bit odd for a camping shop :-)

The Vango Spirit is a nice tent for cycle camping, I admired another cyclists once, shame I didn't ask him if I could sit in it. Sadly Go Outdoors don't do that model so it's hard to get to see one. I have a feeling it isn't quite high enough tbh.

The Black Diamond would bust the budget a bit once I have bought the floor, insides etc.

Thanks for the info though, hopefully the solution is out there.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I was very pleased with my Terra Nova Solar Superlite 2.2 . I'm 5ft 9 and can sit up straight in it. Using one of the chair kits you're usually reclined back slightly so you might be OK. I got a good deal on it from Uttings Outdoors but they're showing it as discontinued now though.

fimm

Veteran
Have a look at the Hilleberg Akto. Expensive, but I think it would do what you want (it feels huge inside to me, addmittedly I'm only 5'7" and female).

willem

Über Member
The tallest single hoop tents are probably the Helsport Ringstind models: 110 cm. One of my really tall friends has one and he is happy. The msr Hubba HP and Hubba Hubba HP are also quite tall, and over a larger area. You would really need to try. Even the two persons variants of these two tents are under 2 kg.
If none of this is tall enough, there is always the Terra Nova Laser Space 2. However, it is some 3 kg. Personally, I do not feel there is a role for chairkits in a lightweight outfit (and I am no longer young).
Willem

We have an MSR hubba hubba and my other half, who is 5'11" can sit upright in it to get dressed etc. Because of the height of the tent, it doesn't feel too small even when we are both in there. It also has a porch on both sides which is good for storage. We once had to spend a day in it when it poured down and it didn't get claustrophobic at all.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The Decathlon T3 Ultralight Pro is about 2.9K, not much over your target. I'm 6'6" and have masses of room to lie and sit up. Very easy to pitch and less than a hundred quid. You can buy online now aswell.

Top Bottom