Lightweight but spacious tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P.H

Über Member
I was very pleased with my Terra Nova Solar Superlite 2.2 . I'm 5ft 9 and can sit up straight in it. Using one of the chair kits you're usually reclined back slightly so you might be OK. I got a good deal on it from Uttings Outdoors but they're showing it as discontinued now though.
It is a fantastic tent, but at 6'2" I can't sit on my airbed without my head touching the top. Not by much and not a problem for me. I don't know how much higher the chair kit is, one to try before buying.

For space to weight ratio, the Golite Shangri La 3 would take some beating. Not everyones cup of tea, I didn't get on with the similar previous model.

http://www.hike-lite...angri-La+3.html

EDIT - Beaten to it...or the Shangri La 5 as suggested above.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

Thanks for the great info! Not sure I'm a tipi kinda guy really, but the Hubba Bubba certainly looks nice, and although it isn't really taller than most tents, the design is such that there is a nice dome to sit in rather than the coffin shape of some lightweight tents, the Helsport is slightly higher but the tent is a bit coffiny - I know, a new word :biggrin:. Unless anyone has any other ideas it looks like it's between the Duolite and the Hubba Bubba which are similar designs. Anyone have a Duolite? It's certainly a much cheaper option.

As for the chair, I wouldn't leave home without it, or the Exped mat. It's old age I'm afraid, I can't sit up unsupported for long without getting a back ache, and the chair is so great for reading or watching stuff on my Ipod. I'm amazed you went right across Canada without using it all the time Helen - loved your blog btw - it can only be because you are young fit and beautiful :smile:

willem

Über Member
I had a second look at your original post, and your concern is really to reduce weight from the current 35 kg - and rightly so. I really think that if that is the problem, there are umpteen easier ways to reduce your luggage weight other than going for another tent. I am sure you can reduce that weight by almost half without investing much. After that, and only after that, is it time to invest in much lighter gear. I can tour in the UK (not yet now) with about 15 kg in just two rear paniers (plus the tent on top of the rack) and a bar bag. And I am not lacking in comfort. I use a warm and comfortable 2 person tent, an exped downmat, a Trangia stove for cooking real meals, and enough clothes to keep me warm and dry, and even vaguely respectable looking in the evenings. I turn 58 next week.
Willem
p.s. invest in some scales

P.H

Über Member
And I am not lacking in comfort.
So what? You're not him, or me. How could you possibly know what makes anyone else comfortable? Again and again and again we read the same mantra, I can do it on 15kg, two panniers are better.... I don't know how limited your experience is to think that your way has to be the only way. I don't know how much kit anyone else has to carry to stay happy, I do know not having it will spoil any tour far more than carrying a bit more weight. The question is about tent heights, nobody has asked what weight to carry, please give it a rest.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

Please don't fall out guys, everyone has their own way that works for them. I have only been touring for two years, and until now I have carried everything including the kitchen sink. There are up sides to this but I would like to be able to get up hills. There is a hill outside Whitby where I struggled to even push the bloody thing up the hills!

One other reason I struggle is that I weigh 18 stone, so some of you could carry the weight of luggage I do and still be driving the same weight as me without any luggage.

I plan to cut out most food, and might get a Trangia mini just enough to make tea and heat water. On your own it is pretty cheap to eat in pubs but a cuppa in the morning is nice. I am hoping to get everything in two large panniers if possible, we'll see. I may try Bed and Breakfasts but they are pretty pricey these days and I'm never quite sure where I will end up.

Saving 3KG on the tent seems a good saving, which is why I am looking for a lightweight one, but I can't live without my chair, hence the search for a light tent with decent height. If only they would make a version of my cheap Coleman jobbie with lightweight materials I would buy it in a flash.

Why not make your own tent, as you say you have a tent which is ok for you but heavy, then why not use that as a pattern but use greater Dimensions and lighter Materials ; tent fabric i.e., ripstop nylon, tape, poles etc are readily available to purchase as separate items from different suppliers, so if the missus has a sewing machine, there’s a challenge for you:-)

bigjim

Legendary Member
I'm a bit confused about the sitting up thing. I'm 6'2" and I have 2 tents. A north face particle 13 weighs 1.9K and 105cm high and a ridiculously cheap, waterproof asda dome, cost £7.50 weighs 1.3K and 94cm high. I can sit up in both of them. is the height thing because of the chair that you require?

doog

I've got a Vaude Taurus Ultralite and, much as I love it and want to praise it, I would say that its only minus-point is vertical space. So I think it's not what you're after.

Ive the same tent but luckily I have long legs and a short body
biggrin.gif

Sitting up isnt an issue

willem

Über Member
Well, I do think weight is what the original post was all about. Here is an older guy like me who finds it hard to get up the hills, and who rightly concludes that the combined weight of himself and his luggage is responsible, together with age/lack of fitness. Climbing is all about beating gravity, and that is elementary physics: reduce the weight. His idea was that his tent could be lighter, and that may be so. However, I think that if he is carrying 35 kg, there may be other options, the more so since he likes his tent for its height. Striking the balance between the comfort provided by carrying weight and the comfort of not carrying weight is a personal thing, of course. However, 35 kg is a lot, and there may be very good ways to reduce it without losing much comfort. Alternatively, the same comfort may weigh less if you spend money on modern gear. The methodology is that you try to decide where losing weight means the least loss of comfort, and where you may spend your money best to loose weight but not (or not much) comfort. From my experience there are plenty of opportunities if you start at 35 kg.
So what is that experience, and why do I give these examples? I have now camped for about half a century, from my childhood when we drove all over Europe, camping in a bungalow tent (and a litle tent for me and my kid brother), through backpacking with old fashioned lightweight gear (13-16 kg) in my school and student days, to cycle camping from my mid twenties until now. I started buying modern gear when our first child was born, fifteen years ago, and we wanted to continue cycle camping. Money was tight, but we needed some new stuff because of the kids, and it had to be lightweight because otherwise the two of us could never carry all that luggage and the two kids on two bikes. Each time we needed something new we bought something light (like our 5kg Hilleberg Keron 4gt family tent), making do with the older stuff that was still in working condition, because the budget did not go any further. In recent years, we finally replaced all the decades old heavy gear because it was finally completely worn, because the budget was now there, and because we had learned enough about the modern gear to know what we needed. A memorable trip was a few years ago when we crossed Switzerland with the kids, cycling from Basle to Como. That was tough, because even after much investment in lighter gear my wife and I were still carrying most of the weight, of course. In recent years I have also begun to do more adventurous solo trips with friends, such as last summer with the Dutch cycle touring club to Norway. For some pictures of that, see http://picasaweb.goo...orwegen/Anneke# My loaded bike is the bike on the left in picture 6. On that trip I was carrying 18 kg, because I had taken the gear to cope with potentially rather cold (i.e minus 10 at altitude) and wet weather. Leave that home, and I am down to 15 kg.
Without the rather serious weight reductions of the last few years, I could not do such trips anymore. I don't know about others, but I think climbing ability is the thing you loose most when you grow older. So that is where I compensate by using my experience of what I need and what not, and by replacing for example a bulky and heavy old sleeping bag with a cotton outer with expensive light stuff like the PHD bags that I can now afford. Going light allows me to go and to continue to go to places where I could not go otherwise.
I really do not want to impose my views and experiences on anyone. However, when, like here, I read about an older guy like myself (at 57) who struggles to lug his 35 kg up a hill, I sympathise (been there, done that too), and I think I have a relevant story. Particularly if he himself realizes that weight is his problem. The cycle touring world is only just beginning to recognize the possibilities that have been discovered by the ultralight movement in backpacking, where a luggage weight of 5-10 kg is now almost the norm. You will not see me go down that low, but I do think we can take a leaf from their book.
Finally, comfort. I do not know what others find comfortable, and comparing notes when you are travelling with others can be fascinating. For me it is not about replicating home. It is about not lacking the basics of a good night's rest (I have an Exped Downmat but would buy a cheaper and lighter Synmat Basic now), warmth in cold weather, protection against the elements, safety (I will always take an emergency blanket etc), and a good meal of freshly cooked ingredients. I make real coffee every morning, I will not drink my wine from a coffee mug, and you will not see me in a cramped tent like a Terra Nova Laser. For me a Ringstind 2 or a Hubba Hubba HP for two represent about the minimum for comfortable solo camping. In the evenings you will not see me dressed in cycling lycra. And yet, all this adds up to only 15+ kg.
As for a tent for tall people: how tall are you sitting up on your chair? The vast majority of small 2 person tents are in the 90-100 cm inner height range, and even that often only at one point. The Ringstind is the tallest that I know at 110 cm, and I have seen the 2 person model and I think it is pretty spacious for one person. The Hubba Hubba HP (get the HP version for camping in the UK or you will be cold) is the most spacious sub 2 kg 2 person tent that I know. It is a bit lower, but over a larger area. For anything taller, you are looking at mostly 3 person tents, so they will be heavier and more expensive for the same quality. So you really need to find out first what your precise requirements are.
Willem
p.s. there is of course the Tarptents Scarp 2: http://www.tarptent.com/products.html It is a bit fragile, however, and in windy UK conditions I would not use it without the extra cross poles.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Why not make your own tent, as you say you have a tent which is ok for you but heavy, then why not use that as a pattern but use greater Dimensions and lighter Materials ; tent fabric i.e., ripstop nylon, tape, poles etc are readily available to purchase as separate items from different suppliers, so if the missus has a sewing machine, there’s a challenge for you:-)

I've done this..... a few years ago mind..... . cost about £100 on materials to make a tent that was broadly equivalent to one that was then selling at about £300, but with some crucial design "improvements" of my own. Incidentally those design features were unavailable on any tent at that time - but are now commonplace.....I was ahead of my time.

I took a lot of hours work but I was really pleased with the result.....only one downside, it leaked like the provierbal sieve when it rained :whistle:

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

I asked the wife how she felt about knocking me up a tent on the sewing machine, but I can't repeat what she said in here :rolleyes:

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and thank you Willem for the pm with very useful info, that I will definitely benefit from. Your bike in the picture looks nice and light. I don't suppose you have a blog with a gear list somewhere?

Bigjim, the height is due to the chair, yes, I am not a giant myself, but I can't sit up in a tent comfortably without the chair. I tend to sit reading or watching videos on my Ipod for reasonable periods of time.

The Hubba Bubba certainly looks nice in that it has a fairly high dome so that there should be space around my head, however the Duolite looks very similar and is considerably cheaper so I'd love to hear from someone with a Duolite if there is anyone out there?

billflat12

Veteran
Not sure about your choice of the duolite but recently looked at a wild country duolite tourer by tera nova with my brother before he settled on a vango spirit 200+ (which is the same size) am sure the headroom is only 1m high max on both models which in my opinion was to low using any adult chair with backrest, i myself bought a £99 4kg vango omega250 , simply because its 1200 high with larger porch , i enjoy extra space on longer tours especially on longer nights , or i just use a typical coffin type 2man lightweight tent an sit/live outside the tent when not sleeping.

If i had the extra £250-350 to spare when i bought my omega 250 i would probably have gone for the terra nova laser space 2 purely because your able to stand to dress. but would only save 1kg ?

question of priorities i guess , if i was still in my teens i would maybe just make do with a survival blanket an a tarp.

= A lightweight Terra Nova Laser space 2 is 6ft tall with large porch area, maybe a little pricey but an excellent tent.

http://www.terra-nov...sign_award.html
site currently offering 30% off for trade ins.

better discount here http://www.sportsdir...3157?src=google

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
why not make your own tent...
I've done this..... a few years ago mind..... . cost about £100 on materials to make a tent that was broadly equivalent to one that was then selling at about £300, but with some crucial design "improvements" of my own. Incidentally those design features were unavailable on any tent at that time - but are now commonplace.....I was ahead of my time.

I took a lot of hours work but I was really pleased with the result.....only one downside, it leaked like the provierbal sieve when it rained :whistle:

Laughed my arse of at this! Thank you :smile:

Top Bottom