Lightweight mudguards for Giant Defy 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
So after all of this weeks rain and noticing a lovely mud stripe up my back I thought I'd invest in some mudguards.

Does anyone have any suggestions / pictures of lightweight mudguards that look good and fit on a defy 2? Quite nervous about buying online and finding it doesn't fit around the brake callipers or something.

Your choices are limited, there is a thread here
and here

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A vote for crud, found them easy to fit and having tried sks clip on`s i found the latter took a lot of bending to get them to fit and scratched the paint work terribly.

musa

Über Member
Aren't they any full length guards available? I got a Defy4 which I plan to make an all weather commuter once I get my n+1

I have experimented with SKS Chromoplastic mudguards which work well on my Surly Long Haul Trucker but not on my commuter, a Kinesis Racelight Granfondo. I have now gone with Crud Roadracer Mk2 and so far these have been good. Easty to fit and to keep adjusted. Also seem to work well. Really need more rain but to get a better picture with regards on-road experience.

IMG_3162.JPG

Crud Raceguard Mk2 fitted to a Kinesis Racelight Granfondo.

Andrew

stumpy66

Veteran
Tried cruds, too easily broken for my liking:sad:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
There is an SKS raceblade style guard designed specifically for bikes with poor clearance, like the defy, I tried to fit standard sks raceblades and just found there was not enough clearance between the tyre and the top of the guard, even when it was pressed hard against the brake calipers. You may have an easier time with crudguards, but I've given up!

There is an SKS raceblade style guard designed specifically for bikes with poor clearance, like the defy, I tried to fit standard sks raceblades and just found there was not enough clearance between the tyre and the top of the guard, even when it was pressed hard against the brake calipers. You may have an easier time with crudguards, but I've given up!

My experience of the raceblades has not been good after they were recommended by the bike shop. They move around too much under the shocks, vibrations and knocks so you are forever having to adjust them to stop them rubbing the tyres.

SKS standards won't fit unless you are an experienced fitter, trust me. This is the reason why Giant have their own fender set but apparently, according to some, they have been recalled due to poor performance and cracking.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but unless things have changed since the 2009 version which I have, the choices are very limited. Cruds wouldn't fit mine either, the clearance was just too limited but looks above that some have had success..? The problem, as hinted, is the brake bridges - the clearance is ridiculous.

I'll try and find the thread I started on the subject...

Top Bottom