Lightweight touring kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Seem to run into security errors if I try and view the attachments
That will be the security from your bank trying to save you money from spending on unnecessary lightweight kit

I had 595240

posted from my phone, try this instead

rivers

How far can I go?
Here's my new lightweight set-up.
Clothes and cooking kit in the saddle bag, sleeping bag and mat in the handlebar bag, along with a gas canister. Alpkit Elan hooped bivi strapped to the front of it. In the frame bag is a 2 litre hydration bladder, the bivi pegs and pole. Some easy to cook food and coffee will be going in there as well. In the bottle cage underneath the downtube will be a tool kit with the usual bits, as well as 2 x USB battery packs.
Total weight with a full hydration bladder is about 16.5kgs.
20210712_101142.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
That looks nicely set up and light too. I presume you're off on an adventure soon, where to?

I was busy setting mine up today as well for my imminent trip to the Black Forest.

IMG_20210712_165727602.jpg

The bag on the front fork is the cooker, gas, mug and a few other sundries for cooking. 920 grams all told.

The other fork leg carries a one litre water bottle and there's two half litre bottles in the frame.

The front roll is my tent, (Alpkit Soloist), sleep mat, inflatable pillow and emergency bivy sac. 2.1 kilos including bag.

Rear bag is for clothes, sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner as well as sundry bits like wash kit, poo trowel, etc. The heaviest at 2.7 kilos including bag.

The frame bag is mostly food, as well as the water filter, power bank and a small ultralight rucksack for shopping trips. I've not weighed this one, but it won't be much.

The top bag is a small 1 litre bag with flapjacks, sunglasses and suncream.

Under the down tube is the tool caddy with hopefully everything I need.

Roughly 6 kilos of equipment, the bike is about 12 kilos (Lardy steel framed adventure bike!). I could get the weight down further, but I'm happy with that.

rivers

How far can I go?
That looks nicely set up and light too. I presume you're off on an adventure soon, where to?

I was busy setting mine up today as well for my imminent trip to the Black Forest.

View attachment 598797

The bag on the front fork is the cooker, gas, mug and a few other sundries for cooking. 920 grams all told.

The other fork leg carries a one litre water bottle and there's two half litre bottles in the frame.

The front roll is my tent, (Alpkit Soloist), sleep mat, inflatable pillow and emergency bivy sac. 2.1 kilos including bag.

Rear bag is for clothes, sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner as well as sundry bits like wash kit, poo trowel, etc. The heaviest at 2.7 kilos including bag.

The frame bag is mostly food, as well as the water filter, power bank and a small ultralight rucksack for shopping trips. I've not weighed this one, but it won't be much.

The top bag is a small 1 litre bag with flapjacks, sunglasses and suncream.

Under the down tube is the tool caddy with hopefully everything I need.

Roughly 6 kilos of equipment, the bike is about 12 kilos (Lardy steel framed adventure bike!). I could get the weight down further, but I'm happy with that.

Nice set-up. I'm off for 5 days through the West country amd Dorset at the end of the month. Mix of road and off-road. First real adventure, and am a bit excited about it.

coffee kit is a mug usable to heat water, mini stove, mini gas bottle and some sachets of all in one capucino from Aldi. i would love a real coffee but the weight and ingredients too much hassle

i do have this amazing espresso sized Bialetti that I have had for over 20 years but never used as I just don't like espresso. I'd like a decent sized mug real strong coffee with a fair amount of cold milk. The Aldi sachets are not really going to hack it but at least they are hot and coffee flavour

View attachment 595092

View attachment 595093
Apologies, meant to reply earlier with my coffee exchange.
My coffee making kit.

cheapo cartridge - you can get those things for between £1 and £2 - enough to power god knows how many coffees.
Chinese adaptor (thing with legs) - cost about £3 - apart from providing a link to the stove ensures that the cartridge stays the right way up so you don't get a massive flare/emergency incident on a stove that doesn't have a preheat tube.
Vango tiddly stove - about £20 - similar things available for less.
Normal domestic espresso pot.
I quite often use this on day rides.
This entire thread puts me to shame though - I am far from minimalist.

edit - the Vango stove in the pic is this:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15989044/vango-atom-ultralight-backpacking-stove-15989044

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
and also by your insistence on not ditching the vital coffee
Understand, but my morning kick is tea, 'soldier's brew'. Can't get going without that - ! :okay:

On the point of gas stoves, I recently bought a Trangia stove after years of using gas. Should have done it long, long ago. Trangias are so simple, easy to use and just go on and on. Absolutely delighted with it and no issues about having to shelter it from the wind - ! ^_^
agree totally.
an italian acquaintance years ago told me that they were "old fashioned".
old fashioned in that just works/is supremely simple and reliable.
damn the outdoor shop salesguy who later tried to persuade me to buy a super-clever multifuel stove rather than a half price duossal trangia.
Tried to tell me that Trangias were dangerous/that I risked death in a fireball by carrying a trangia fuel bottle under the downtube.
Thankfully didn't buy the multifuel but by the time I figured out that he was\ talking bollocks/trying to sell me up, the Trangia offer had gone.
I now have two Trangias.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Trangia's are brilliant, there's no getting away from that, simplicity and reliability as well as the nestled pots and kettle. If ultra light is your goal though, then the standard Trangia is too heavy and bulky. However, Clickstand in America make a super light windscreen and stand for the alcohol burner in a Trangia. Combined with a titanium or aluminum pot, it makes for a super light and reliable stove.

1626112959475.png

raggydoll

Über Member
On the point of gas stoves, I recently bought a Trangia stove after years of using gas. Should have done it long, long ago. Trangias are so simple, easy to use and just go on and on. Absolutely delighted with it and no issues about having to shelter it from the wind - ! ^_^

What model of trangia do you have?

raggydoll

Über Member
agree totally.
an italian acquaintance years ago told me that they were "old fashioned".
old fashioned in that just works/is supremely simple and reliable.
damn the outdoor shop salesguy who later tried to persuade me to buy a super-clever multifuel stove rather than a half price duossal trangia.
Tried to tell me that Trangias were dangerous/that I risked death in a fireball by carrying a trangia fuel bottle under the downtube.
Thankfully didn't buy the multifuel but by the time I figured out that he was\ talking bollocks/trying to sell me up, the Trangia offer had gone.
I now have two Trangias.

What models are both your trangias?

What models are both your trangias?
one is the 25 hard anodised - will only ever use solo but I had the idea that I needed the bigger size for pasta.
The other is the smaller 27 (damn that scandinavian logic) plain ally which I prefer.
I have bought 1 or 2 duossal bits since - damn again that upselling outdoor shop bloke.
In general I prefer stuff that isn't trying to be non-stick.
I also have this but have never used.
https://www.addnature.co.uk/318026.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom