Lightweight touring kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was considering buying one but can't warrant another system, I say that now but I'm weak.

I would recommend .

So light, so robust and functional .

Not cheap.

But like they say, you can't have all three ..

Baldy

Über Member
I've been think about what to take on my holidays,

6aJXgO.jpg

This is what I've come up with.
Front roll bag, (Restrap)

Tent, Trekkertent Phreeranger less pole and pegs.

Waterproof Jacket and Trouser, Mountain equipment Firefox Gore Tex.

Rab Xenon Vest.

Rab Borealis windshirt. (Midgie proof)

Rab vapoure-rise Gilet.

Light fleece sweeter.

Ron Hill Tracksters. 3.5kg

Frame bag, (Lomo)

Tent pole and pegs.

Pump.

Tools, puncture repair kit, Multi tool, Mini mole grips, two small spanners, Co2 tyre inflater and spare cartridge.

Spare inner tube.

Gas canister 250.

Midge headnet.

Smidge. 2.2kg

Saddle bag, (Apidura)

Sleeping bag, PHD Minimus.

Sleeping mat Thermarest NeoAir.

Pump for Thermarest.

Toaks 550ml pot/mug Titanium.

BRS 50000 gas stove.*

Two Cricket lighters.*

Plastic tea spoon.*

Small bag of Tiger coils.*

Small repair kit*, Thermarest puncture kit, Spinnaker tape (50mm x 500mm), needle and thread, stick on patches.

.* = lives inside pot.

Cossy for freeze dry food bags.

Toilet paper + hand gel 50ml.

Long handle spoon.

Toothpaste, tooth brush, very small piece of soap, 12inch square microfibre towel.

Petzl headlight.

Swiss Army knife.

2lt Platypus bladder.

First aid kit, handful of mixed plasters, a few Antiseptic wipes, a roll of 1inch tape, 1x #14 wound dressing, 1x 10 x 10cm absorbent dressing, 1x 10 x 10cm Jelonet dressing, 2 x tick hooks, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol.

Beeny hat, gloves.

Power pack 10000mAh + leads.

Food, 3x freeze dry meals, 3x porridge + red berries in Soup n’Sauce bags. Bag of Tea.

3.2kg

Tank bag
, (Alpkit)

Assorted biscuit bars.

Front Clip-on bag, (Restrap).

Camera kit,

GoPro 8,

Canon EOS 50M + 22mm lens, 55 – 200mm Zoom lens,

Batteries,

Manfrotto table top tripod.

GoPro handlebar mount.

GoPro chest harness.

MonKey Mic MCm-1

Zoom H1n sound recorder.

Possible extra Sirui SR1217623 Carbon tripod.

Just realized I've mist off spare socks and pants.

There's three packet meals and three breakfasts for the nights where I'll not be camping near any shops. I'm still deciding whether to use that bike or my Mountain bike, but the kit will still be the same.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I've had one for years and it's brilliant. Not the lightest but probably the cheapest, and certainly bombproof.
Arrive at campsite: light this thing up, place to one side: put up tent and have everything sorted perhaps including shower if possible: return to stove which is now silently bubbling away.
In the morning: light stove then take down tent and pack everything away: return to stove which has been silently bubbling away in the corner, unattended.
What more could you possibly want?
Also: you can buy meths anywhere but be careful of the meths in Spain that can be bought in supermarkets and which is a cleaning fluid and doesn't burn as the alcohol content is too low. You need to buy it from a DIY place or perhaps a pharmacy. Be careful though.
DAHIKT.
How does that work if you stop for a cup of tea along the way? I'm not gonna wait half an hour for it to boil

How does that work if you stop for a cup of tea along the way? I'm not gonna wait half an hour for it to boil
:sad:
Why spend a few hours cycling from A to B when I can do it in 20 minutes in a car?

I've often spent far more than half an hour at a nice place on the side of the road.

I recently did a test on my Trangia and it took 8 minutes to boil the kettle (750 ml I think) at an altitude of 3500 meters.
It's perfectly safe to leave unattended as alluded to above and for longer tasks the adjustable lid can be deployed. If it takes me 30 minutes to make some coffee that'll be my choice, not the system.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You can get 500 ml of water boiling in just over six minutes with an alcohol stove.

How do I know this ??

Because i do quite a lot of my multiday hikes with someone who actually spends a small portion of his time nerding over this stuff.

Nerdery which is largely indulged -
nay encouraged - on account of it getting me a decent brew, pdq.

:okay:

As Mr Hobbes opines, if you're in such a big ol' rush, why go by bike at all ??

Baldy

Über Member
It's not how long it takes, it's how much fuel you need. Over a weekend you won't need that much and you can keep your alcohol in a lightweight container. But alcohol has a lower calorific value than gas (butane, propane etc), so you use less gas than alcohol for the same result. Over a short trip the weight of the canister out weighs this advantage. For longer trips the extra alcohol you would need per day soon adds up and after about four days the weight becomes greater than the weight of gas + can. So for longer trips it's gas, for quick overnights it's alcohol.

It also depends on which fuel is available where you're going of course.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's not how long it takes, it's how much fuel you need. Over a weekend you won't need that much and you can keep your alcohol in a lightweight container. But alcohol has a lower calorific value than gas (butane, propane etc), so you use less gas than alcohol for the same result. Over a short trip the weight of the canister out weighs this advantage. For longer trips the extra alcohol you would need per day soon adds up and after about four days the weight becomes greater than the weight of gas + can. So for longer trips it's gas, for quick overnights it's alcohol.

It also depends on which fuel is available where you're going of course.

I think how often you can resupply, and what is available makes a huge difference too..

I used to be more keen on gas.

But it's definitely more expensive for a prolonged trip.
Plus there's that tendency to take a spate canister just in case you run out.

So then you've got the weight of two canisters.

Unless you very carefully, count and log your brews there's a touch of uncertainty as to what you've got left in a gas canister.

Whereas with meths or alcohol, it's very visible.

Of course on a bike overall weight carried is slightly less crucial than when backpacking.

But on balance I'd be slightly more likely to take gas rather than meths on just a one or two night trip .

But pretty much always meths if going for longer.

I think I also like the enclosed and safer feeling of meths, all round, especially if you have to brew up inside your porch on foul weather days..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I've been think about what to take on my holidays,

View attachment 599556

This is what I've come up with.
Front roll bag, (Restrap)

Tent, Trekkertent Phreeranger less pole and pegs.

Waterproof Jacket and Trouser, Mountain equipment Firefox Gore Tex.

Rab Xenon Vest.

Rab Borealis windshirt. (Midgie proof)

Rab vapoure-rise Gilet.

Light fleece sweeter.

Ron Hill Tracksters. 3.5kg

Frame bag, (Lomo)

Tent pole and pegs.

Pump.

Tools, puncture repair kit, Multi tool, Mini mole grips, two small spanners, Co2 tyre inflater and spare cartridge.

Spare inner tube.

Gas canister 250.

Midge headnet.

Smidge. 2.2kg

Saddle bag, (Apidura)

Sleeping bag, PHD Minimus.

Sleeping mat Thermarest NeoAir.

Pump for Thermarest.

Toaks 550ml pot/mug Titanium.

BRS 50000 gas stove.*

Two Cricket lighters.*

Plastic tea spoon.*

Small bag of Tiger coils.*

Small repair kit*, Thermarest puncture kit, Spinnaker tape (50mm x 500mm), needle and thread, stick on patches.

.* = lives inside pot.

Cossy for freeze dry food bags.

Toilet paper + hand gel 50ml.

Long handle spoon.

Toothpaste, tooth brush, very small piece of soap, 12inch square microfibre towel.

Petzl headlight.

Swiss Army knife.

2lt Platypus bladder.

First aid kit, handful of mixed plasters, a few Antiseptic wipes, a roll of 1inch tape, 1x #14 wound dressing, 1x 10 x 10cm absorbent dressing, 1x 10 x 10cm Jelonet dressing, 2 x tick hooks, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol.

Beeny hat, gloves.

Power pack 10000mAh + leads.

Food, 3x freeze dry meals, 3x porridge + red berries in Soup n’Sauce bags. Bag of Tea.

3.2kg

Tank bag
, (Alpkit)

Assorted biscuit bars.

Front Clip-on bag, (Restrap).

Camera kit,

GoPro 8,

Canon EOS 50M + 22mm lens, 55 – 200mm Zoom lens,

Batteries,

Manfrotto table top tripod.

GoPro handlebar mount.

GoPro chest harness.

MonKey Mic MCm-1

Zoom H1n sound recorder.

Possible extra Sirui SR1217623 Carbon tripod.

Just realized I've mist off spare socks and pants.

There's three packet meals and three breakfasts for the nights where I'll not be camping near any shops. I'm still deciding whether to use that bike or my Mountain bike, but the kit will still be the same.

With vapourise gilet I would not bother with windshirt.

Top Bottom