Lightweight touring kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Its horses for courses I guess.

I quite like sitting and looking at the view, whilst waiting that whole five minutes for the water to boil.

Plus meths/alcohol is quiet* and you don't have spent canisters to dispose of.

Both systems have their place, and pros and cons really though, if they didn't, we wouldn't still have such a variety of options.

*Then I cancel out all this peace and quiet by taking one of those little fan pumps - depending on which sleep mat, I'm taking.:rolleyes:
yes, 5 mins fine, but @mmmmartin described boiling up while tent pitching and showering as being do-able, which sounds like a good 20-30 mins

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
yes, 5 mins fine, but @mmmmartin described boiling up while tent pitching and showering as being do-able, which sounds like a good 20-30 mins

Well I guess it also depends on how long you take to pitch up..

This is my preferred bike touring tent atm.

Its called a 'Moment' because that's about how long it takes to put up..

(Well 3 mins maybe)

Please excuse the mess , it looks like I might have been having breakfast by this point..

:rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Couldn't squeeze a leprechaun in that thing. :laugh:

Well that's fine, cos I don't really want a Leprechaun in there with me..:rolleyes:

It does, however, accommodate me (at 5'10" )

And my super luxe neotherm long, wide and thick very nicely.

For less than 1.4 kg.. (the tent)

A consideration worth considering, if, like me, you tend to tour in the hillier parts of the world :smile:

I think I'll stick to my 4kg decathlon tent. :tongue:
Heavy, but very comfy ^_^

View attachment 601481
4kg!
I may be able to beat that with a 3 person super reinforced (to cope with heavy scout use) Vango dome I got at a very good price. Haven't dared to put it on the bike yet - I think I will only use it for very local trips to hole up somewhere for a couple of days. Maybe in winter with a couple of good books.

Is that pic a genuine wildcamp or were you just practicing?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
No I'm not brave enough to try wild camping. I plan to someday but it might be a while.
That sir is Jerusalem Farm campsite just north of Mytholmroyd be Hebden Bridge.
It's a council run site/public park. Absolutely gorgeous place to camp with a river running alongside it. Facilities at the top of a hill so you could treat as wild if you avoid those.
This was last weekend when Pam, I and the mutt planned on staying 2 nights. We left early coz a bunch of nobs turned up with a crate load of beer and we didn't fancy that sort of company. Previous stays (6 or 7) have been brilliant.
£8 a night. You'd love it.

No I'm not brave enough to try wild camping. I plan to someday but it might be a while.
That sir is Jerusalem Farm campsite just north of Mytholmroyd be Hebden Bridge.
It's a council run site/public park. Absolutely gorgeous place to camp with a river running alongside it. Facilities at the top of a hill so you could treat as wild if you avoid those.
This was last weekend when Pam, I and the mutt planned on staying 2 nights. We left early coz a bunch of nobs turned up with a crate load of beer and we didn't fancy that sort of company. Previous stays (6 or 7) have been brilliant.
£8 a night. You'd love it.
thanks for the recommendation - sounds ideal for the Vango bunker as a base for some day rides.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think I'll stick to my 4kg decathlon tent. :tongue:
Heavy, but very comfy ^_^

View attachment 601481
Yikes 4kg ..

But I guess you can share the weight carrying between the two of you??

Nothing to be scared of with wildcamping.

The name doesn't imply there will be lions and bears..

Well not unless you're in the Rockies maybe.
🐻🐯

The worst you're likely to encounter in the UK is an over attentive badger 🐼

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
But I guess you can share the weight carrying between the two of you??

Nothing to be scared of with wildcamping.

No no, this was car camping. Except cars aren't allowed on that site.
I cycle tour on my lonesome. No friends. Nobody loves me. :laugh:
Pam isn't the cycling type unfortunately.

It's the chance of being woken/mugged by some chavy scrote/official.
I'm a wuss :blush:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No no, this was car camping. Except cars aren't allowed on that site.
I cycle tour on my lonesome. No friends. Nobody loves me. :laugh:
Pam isn't the cycling type unfortunately.

It's the chance of being woken/mugged by some chavy scrote/official.
I'm a wuss :blush:

Ah that makes sense..
I thought you must have strong legs elsewise.:rolleyes:

I cycle tour on my lonesome too.:smile:

Not cos no one loves me, but because I love a bit of solo travel..

Getting away from the everyday routine etc etc.

You get to meet all sorts along the way .

Very rarely chavvy scrotes, or scarey officials .

They tend not to hang out in the wilder places..

:smile:

Baldy

Über Member
I wild camp precisely because there's far less chance of encounters of the dick head kind. I've camped out in Kenya, lions etc, Central America, jaguar, flur du lance etc, South America, Puma, Finland, wolves and bears, never been bothered. Insects, rodents, drunks are far more likely to be a pest.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I wild camp precisely because there's far less chance of encounters of the dick head kind. I've camped out in Kenya, lions etc, Central America, jaguar, flur du lance etc, South America, Puma, Finland, wolves and bears, never been bothered. Insects, rodents, drunks are far more likely to be a pest.

Ooo I'd love to camp in proximity to wolves *
But I draw the line at bears of the grizzly sort..

Brown or black are ok

Had a few close encounters with wild boar, but they're fine generally , just in a bit of a rush sometimes >>>>>>

*I say that on a sunny midday in Devon, mind.

Put me in a pine forest at night , surrounded by the howls I might not be so brave :rolleyes:

Top Bottom