Lightweight touring kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Camping with bears is anxiety inducing but raccoons are the real nuisance.

I think we've taken this thread somewhat off topic...

Lightweight racoon repellant ideas..:blush:

Some friends got invaded by a badger when camping near Ullswater. We got woken by the cry of 'the badger is eating my moisturiser' :laugh:

Had one camper here repeatedly bothered by a badger for about three nights in a row, despite all attempts to deter it with a wind up radio*, and a fire .

It just wouldn't go away.

Can only surmise she was pitched directly on a Brocken, ley line or somesuch..

* either that or it was determined to listen to the shipping forecast ^_^

4kg!
I may be able to beat that with a 3 person super reinforced (to cope with heavy scout use) Vango dome I got at a very good price. Haven't dared to put it on the bike yet - I think I will only use it for very local trips to hole up somewhere for a couple of days. Maybe in winter with a couple of good books.

Is that pic a genuine wildcamp or were you just practicing?
well @Vantage turns out I can top your mere 4kg - after some searching
Ladies and gents, the Vango Halo 300 XD.
https://www.dofe.org/shopping/recommendation/vango-halo-xd-300-tent/
5.12kg!!

I could maybe shave a slight bit off it by not using its extra heavy duty pegs.
Now discontinued, possibly because some poor scout expired dragging it up a hill.
It does sit on my bike rack OK but haven't yet ridden with it.
It's one hell of a beast - it's the normal Halo with reinforced flysheet, probably groundsheet, fixing points, pegs and even extra heavy duty zips.
Thanks to a bungle by the folks I bought it off (for about £130) I also have a virtually complete spare set of poles so pretty confident it will outlive me/become a family vault.

Baldy

Über Member
I've got a Halo 200 but only use it for car camping so haven't actually had it out for about three years, a friend had the 300 but sold it as it was just to big.

Last edited:
I've got a Halo 200 but only use it for car camping so haven't actually had it out for about three years, a friend had the 300 but sold it as it was just to big.
I bought it after someone on another forum raved and raved about it (tho that was the unreinforced one) and what a great idea it was to have the luxury of a 3 person tent for one. He later posted that on a tour he had had to cycle for miles and miles of evenings reccying wildcamp places it would actually fit in. You get this odd behaviour from folks sometimes. The Halo 200 looks good - saw one years ago and that's also why I was tempted to get the 300.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I tried and failed at the lightweight packing. It was a shock getting on a loaded bike again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_173136.jpg
    IMG_20210730_173136.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 15
Amateurs!^_^
5kg including groundsheet, all guylines, pegs for various surfaces ...... and cat patches

carpiste

Guru
Surely in these modern times the easiest and lightest way to go is bike, pannier with a few choice snacks, 2 water bottles, spare clothing and tubes and tools and most importantly a credit card!
Credit cards will get you into a nice motel, hotel, b&b. You can have a great sleep then go to the places you would have camped in and spend time, nicely refreshed, looking at everything around the site you would have missed during the night! ^_^

Surely in these modern times the easiest and lightest way to go is bike, pannier with a few choice snacks, 2 water bottles, spare clothing and tubes and tools and most importantly a credit card!
Credit cards will get you into a nice motel, hotel, b&b. You can have a great sleep then go to the places you would have camped in and spend time, nicely refreshed, looking at everything around the site you would have missed during the night! ^_^
a joke i realise but apart from the added expense I don't want the hassle of checking in to a place, sorting bike storage etc etc, and as I tour alone can think of few things worse than staring at four walls and a telly of an evening. Would much rather sit around enjoying the fresh air, nature, nattering to folk etc.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Mmmm.

Yeah, sure it's nice to have a room for the night now and then.

But it's also pretty special to get sunsets and sunrises in places like this.

With lightweight touring gear, you've got options, and there's not 'solid' accomodation available everywhere.

Top Bottom