Lightweight Tubeless Rim Brake Wheelset Advice - £400 Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OJMO

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my standard wheels to something more lightweight and have a budget of around £400.

Looking for something tubeless-ready and can accommodate rim brakes and 28mm tyres.

I've seen good reviews of Scribe Pace/Race wheels as well as Hunt Aero Wide wheels. Might anyone have any experience using either of these and care to share?

I'm also intrigued if anyone has any other recommendations and whether they believe the second-hand market is a good route. I wouldn't know where to start with this so would appreciate some guidance on what to look for should I choose to purchase second-hand.

Thanks a lot,

weareHKR

Have you thought about having a pair made to your own specification, I've had a pair made for a MTB project for a reasonable cost, check this guy out, mine were fairly budget wheel but they are nicely made... check out this link Beespoke wheels really nice guy & years of cycling & wheel build experience.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my standard wheels to something more lightweight and have a budget of around £400.

Looking for something tubeless-ready and can accommodate rim brakes and 28mm tyres.

I've seen good reviews of Scribe Pace/Race wheels as well as Hunt Aero Wide wheels. Might anyone have any experience using either of these and care to share?

I'm also intrigued if anyone has any other recommendations and whether they believe the second-hand market is a good route. I wouldn't know where to start with this so would appreciate some guidance on what to look for should I choose to purchase second-hand.

Thanks a lot,
Mavics all day long, been down the handbuilt route.

I've got Scribe 50mm carbon wheels so can vouch for the service and quality, also some Hunt alloy 650b wheels and again very pleased BUT I also have 2 sets of Campagnolo Zonda's, one Rim brake and the other disc and they're bullet proof.

The Disc brake set I use on both my road bike in the winter and my Gravel bike in the dry so they've seen a bit of everything.

A pal also uses rim brake Zonda's in the winter on his road bike .

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...MIyMrfsoq17QIVgp7tCh3cMQ1WEAQYAiABEgJOYfD_BwE

Last edited:
The order turn round and delivery of Hunt wheels was good for me (the silver version of the Aero Wide) but the turn round and delivery of mates wheels has been terrible. They are good wheels when they arrive.

My winter wheels are Prime (which are tubeless) and I like them and they'd be my choice for the future.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have Hunt Aero wide & run 25mm tyres, but they will take 28mm. Had them about 12 months & covered over 2000 miles with no issues. I'm just over 90kg, so no lightweight & they still run true & well. I would have preffered handbuilts again, but it came down to cost & availability. A colleague ordered a pair of carbon hunt wheels a couple of months ago & the leadtime kept going out, apparently there's some supply issues as with many bike companies at the moment :blush:

Gunk

Guru
My money would go on a handbuilt wheelset with Mavic Open Pro UST rims, a good set will last you years.

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
Have you thought about having a pair made to your own specification, I've had a pair made for a MTB project for a reasonable cost, check this guy out, mine were fairly budget wheel but they are nicely made... check out this link Beespoke wheels really nice guy & years of cycling & wheel build experience.

🙌 I am not worthy....

As for the OP... I'd be looking at something like a Halo Evaura rims on maybe Miche Primato or Halo White line hubs... For a bit more than budget, a lovely pair of Hope RS4's could be an option too.

Top Bottom