Lightweight waterproofs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
What are considered the very best water proofs for touring ‘ in about two months I hope to be off on the coast and castles run , and depending on a few factors including our summer weather I may turn West at Berwick and head off toward St Bees and do a coast to coast run , I really hate getting soaked to the skin whilst riding

jay clock

Massive member
I have just bought a Showers Pass Refuge 2.1. Very impressive. 10% off code if you sign up for the newsletter (or call the guy who imports them and he will give you the code!). Great reviews

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
CB8167C7-9372-48CA-8A7E-640D81C08AB7.png
I have just bought a Showers Pass Refuge 2.1. Very impressive. 10% off code if you sign up for the newsletter (or call the guy who imports them and he will give you the code!). Great reviews

Thanks for that Mate, just looked them up, I like the ‘Refuge’ style one ,it seems to cover my bench mark , it’s nice see an ad without a flash new carbon bike ! it does look as though the rider has got a parking ticket if you look at the rear rack !
Price even better with a score + plus discount ! , one thing about these forums is you can save a lot of time trying to find what you want , Cheers .....

Edit.... they even boast waterproof socks ! and one back pack looks big enough to do Deliveroo work !

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
CORRECTION MINE IS AN ELITE 2.1

@ozboz I added a hood. Hoods are annoyingly only in black or green I think. I went for a blue jacket with black hood. Not as light as my old Berghaus but not lined which helps

Only thing I miss is hand pockets for non-bike usage.

Sizing is accurate I think. I got a Large which matches my usual size. Free returns though

The SP jackets get stunning reviews

andrew_s

Legendary Member
For a standard rain jacket, the Showers Pass Elite 2.1 is one of the best, but if you want a lightweight jacket that gives the best chance of being comfortable in all day rain, one of the Gore Shakedry jackets is best.

They have the PTFE layer on the outside, so they bead up the water permanently, with no outer face fabric to wet out and kill the breathability. The water repellency coatings on regular jackets will stop beading up and wet out after a couple of hours rain when new, and quite a lot quicker as the jacket gets older. The absence of the outer face fabric also means they are very light, rolling up to the size of your fist, more or less.

The downsides are cost, colour (black or dark blue or grey only), and that they are pretty delicate, so an off or a brush with a bramble will have a good chance of ripping it.

Top Bottom