Like or dislike challenges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
I was very much a challenge cyclist. I started racing when I was 12, achievements at a national level. Demoralised in the 80s I took up running and chased PBs. Injury took me back to cycling and I got immersed in audax events.

Had serious mental problems when I came down with polymyalgia last year and struggled to get out of bed. Managed to sort my self out mentally since and now back to enjoying riding a bike again without needing a challenge.

Jameshow

Veteran
I like cycling / running challenges lejog, 400km, marathons ultras canal races etc.

Don't like board games, jigsaws, sudoku / worldly is it? those sort of things.

Do like working out woodworking plans etc.

But am rubbish at drawing / painting.

I guess we are all different!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Not all challenges are like that. Take the ABC villages and towns or the 52 cafés in a year challenge, or the various photo challenges.

Although if you take them particularly seriously they can get that way... How far to get a Z??

I user to occasionally take on the mundane challenge of bettering my best time on a ride to work. That went pretty well, and I knew by certain way points whether or not I was on course to beat the target, so didn't need to flog myself unnecessarily for nothing.

I deleted Strava after nearly killing myself. I took a KoM, absolutely busted my nuts doing so, and once I'd passed the far edge or the segment I eased off and nearly fainted. That was all the warning I needed.

I now steer clear or performance challenges. My do or die mindset could be a bit dangerous for a 55 year old, so instead I prefer soft challenges. ie, ride three times next week, take my folder to Daughter #1's and ride up the Greensands Ridge, that sort of challenge.

Top Bottom