Think like a driver or think like a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was out for a little ride this afternoon and spotted a huge strange-looking billboard poster ahead of me. I wondered what it was showing...

As I got closer, I saw that it was a picture of a pedestrian who had been hit by a car and was still flying through the air. The text on the advert reassured worried witnesses that the driver would have no problems - "It's okay - I'm with the AA". Phew - no problem with the car repairs and legal costs when sued for damages then!

I was sufficiently indignant that I stopped to take a picture of the poster...

Think like a driver.jpg

It took me some time to realise that the poster is actually supposed to show a car being attacked by a crazed wrestler! :wacko:

Am I being over-sensitive, or is that poster just a wee bit tone deaf? :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not in the AA. Does that mean I have to wait 7 hours for an ambulance?

Gillstay

Über Member
I think your on the more correct side. The AA I realised a while ago is only interested in cars as all cyclists and motorcyclists also drive cars in their eyes. So possibly they think the same of pedestrians.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I was out for a little ride this afternoon and spotted a huge strange-looking billboard poster ahead of me. I wondered what it was showing...

As I got closer, I saw that it was a picture of a pedestrian who had been hit by a car and was still flying through the air. The text on the advert reassured worried witnesses that the driver would have no problems - "It's okay - I'm with the AA". Phew - no problem with the car repairs and legal costs when sued for damages then!

View attachment 701699

It took me some time to realise that the poster is actually supposed to show a car being attacked by a crazed wrestler! :wacko:

Am I being over-sensitive, or is that poster just a wee bit tone deaf? :whistle:

I saw this the same way you did.

I can imagine a group of creatives dreaming this up and missing the vital check of showing it to somebody with well developed critical faculties for their thoughts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 701699

Yes definitely a wrestler attacking the car, what that has got to with the AA repairing cars I haven't a clue.

Slick

Guru

View attachment 701699

I think that is a shoot advert as I thought the same as you.

Yes I'm a reluctant driver but I really do hate driving anywhere now and I reckon I not only think like a cyclist but drive like one too now. :becool:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been thinking more about this...

I am wondering whether the advertising agency actually designed the ad so drivers would think it was about protecting themselves if they hit a pedestrian, but made the flying pedestrian an attacking wrestler so that they could claim innocence if challenged and say it was a bit of a joke? :whistle:

Slick

Guru
I have been thinking more about this...

I am wondering whether the advertising agency actually designed the ad so drivers would think it was about protecting themselves if they hit a pedestrian, but made the flying pedestrian an attacking wrestler so that they could claim innocence if challenged and say it was a bit of a joke? :whistle:

Sounds a bit closer to the truth.

Jameshow

Veteran
Get in contact with the AA and see what they say....

Lots of insensitive ads / quotes out there ..

"Adventure before dementia" comes to mind!!

Imagine Adventure before cancer or MS / MND!!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I thought it was the owner's car jumping in the air for the joy of being with the AA :smile:
Imo the guy is not a wrestler, they don't jump, do they?
He's also not meant to be an accident victim, too a happy facial expression.
We really should ask the AA what their advert means :laugh:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Train of thought -a man is flying through the air next to a car. Firstly, has he been hit by it?, Secondly, unlikely, as there's nobody in it. Thirdly, it says "AA" on the board. Fourthly, does that mean that the AA now does a no win no fee insurance scheme for members involved in bizarre accidents involving unattended vehicles if eg a handbrake fails and a vehicle hits them at speed sending them flying? I don't know what the scene meant to whatever focus group the advertising bods tried it out on, but nothing immediately springs to mind to me.

Could it be that motorists as a group are encouraged to see themselves as victims and need the AA to protect them from the horrors that life throws at them? Perhaps the wild hairy man is a symbol that represents all the fearsome hazards out there, cyclists, lorries, little old ladies, other motorists. Back to the drawing board for the AA I think.

Top Bottom