Limited ankle mobility, knee pain and SPDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A1exV

Just had an Aha moment reading a post here about crank arm length.
After a few years of trying to solve the problem of knee pain when clipped into pedals, I’ve realised that; having broken both ankles years ago, the limited flexibility in my ankles means that my knees are forced up into sharper angles to compensate. To avoid knee pain, I perform a pedal stroke with my mid foot, which no cleat positioning goes far back enough to allow.
Just thought I’d throw this out there in case anyone else had been struggling with clipped in shoes and had similar mobility limitations. I also found that shorter crank lengths, which are supposed to lessen knee discomfort, actually do the opposite for me. The smaller turning circle again requires the ankle joint to be more flexible, which if it isn’t, translates into knee pain again.

CharleyFarley

Just had an Aha moment reading a post here about crank arm length.
After a few years of trying to solve the problem of knee pain when clipped into pedals, I’ve realised that; having broken both ankles years ago, the limited flexibility in my ankles means that my knees are forced up into sharper angles to compensate. To avoid knee pain, I perform a pedal stroke with my mid foot, which no cleat positioning goes far back enough to allow.
Just thought I’d throw this out there in case anyone else had been struggling with clipped in shoes and had similar mobility limitations. I also found that shorter crank lengths, which are supposed to lessen knee discomfort, actually do the opposite for me. The smaller turning circle again requires the ankle joint to be more flexible, which if it isn’t, translates into knee pain again.

If you want to keep your knees in the breeze, and if finances permit, an electric bike might be good for you. I'm 75 and I have no desire for an electric bike because I ride to keep fit. Just a casual rider but fortunate that I don't have any joint problems.

Top Bottom