listening to music whilst cycling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

whats a lifesaver here guys, could be dead handy to know and google gives me lifejackets

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
whats a lifesaver here guys, could be dead handy to know and google gives me lifejackets

The quick but thorough look over the shoulder before any manoeuvre involving changing position to check that the traffic behind hasn't done something unexpected during the planning stage (as opposed to regular checks over the shoulder when riding steadily).

Sam

david1701

The quick but thorough look over the shoulder before any manoeuvre involving changing position to check that the traffic behind hasn't done something unexpected during the planning stage (as opposed to regular checks over the shoulder when riding steadily).

Sam

I'm with you, something I do but never knew the name for.

david k

Hi
your right, they dont have a choice but they ride safely. Why shouldnt cyclists also ride safely? Because we have ears can we close our eyes?
A lifesaver is a glance down to your side before any change in speed or direction. Not so much a look behind but a glance to your left if turning left and right if turning right. Anyone can ry to nip past you last minute, a lifesaver means your aware at all times. It also tells people behind you that your about to do something, makes em think. It does not replace looking fully behind, in fact my lifesavers tend to do both, with practice they become quick and part of your style so you dont notice them

try it

Jezston

Über Member
Oh FFS Paul, I gave a detailed and reasoned explanaition behind my points about headphones acting as a windshield, you constantly now bringing it up as 'bonkers' is just offensive. Cut it out.

Jezston

Über Member
So you think that reducing wind noise doesn't enhance your ability to hear around you?

If anything is bonkers, that is.

david k

Hi
a lifesaver is not looking behind, its looking to the side, its as well as looking behind

so your coming to a junction to turn right, you look behind and manovour , then as you turn you look to your side, thats the lifesaver

david k

Hi
sorry, my point is its in addition to looking behind, its what motorbikers do all the time as their hearing is impaired naturally. and they have a full helmet on which makes vision harder. while having some low noise headphones will not make it any more dangerous that bikers have all the time

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you drive your car with the windows closed, or the stereo playing, or both, and you suggest that it's unsafe to cycle with earphones, then you are this: a severe hypocrite. :biggrin:

Norm

I don't think you need to try and explain your failure to understand the opinions of others by resorting to insults, BM.

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1377657"]
Not if the same thing that is reducing the wind noise is also reducing all other noise, no. As explained several times a number of pages ago.
[/quote]

And as explained to you repeatedly that unless you are wearing noise-reduction or close backed headphones the amount of additional noise reduced by covering your ears with a layer of plastic less than a mm thick is immeasurably low. You are turning this into a very tedious circular argument by refusing to take on or even address points that differ to your own, instead dismissing your 'opponents' with insults and derision rather than facts. You lose.

400bhp

Guru
Erm...

Apart from the fact that they don't.

It just amplifies the fact that people on 2 wheels need to be as patient as they expect those in 4 wheels to be.

Hang back and soon enough the person will notice you. If they don't then wait a bit longer. If you don't have that patience then take a damn bus.

:thumbsup:

Erm, read it again.

:rolleyes:

david k

Hi
[QUOTE 1377660"]
That's right. But also more dangerous than it could be for the cyclist. It's enforced for a biker but a choice for the cyclist, which makes it a poor comparison.
[/quote]

thats fine, you accept that its no more dangerous for a cyclist with headphones than it is to ride a motorbike, point made

what a can of worms this post has opened ! everyone has a right to express their opinions surely? I personally think with all the trafic on the roads today you need all your wits about you, so I wont wear any type of MP3'S etc as I would be distracted. Each to their own but be carefull out there. to many cyclists are knocked off their bike or worse by motorists who were probably listening to the radio etc and not paying attention to their driving !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom