listening to music whilst cycling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think you need to try and explain your failure to understand the opinions of others by resorting to insults, BM.

Failure to understand? I don't think so, and it's not intended as an insult. It's simply a fact - hypocrisy is something we're all guilty of at some point. Using one set of standards on a bike for judging others, but accepting by your own definition lower and less safe conflicting standards in a car for yourself is most definitely hypocrisy.

400bhp

Guru
Failure to understand? I don't think so, and it's not intended as an insult. It's simply a fact - hypocrisy is something we're all guilty of at some point. Using one set of standards on a bike for judging others, but accepting by your own definition lower and less safe conflicting standards in a car for yourself is most definitely hypocrisy.

No it's not. Read one of my earlier posts and a later post by Gaz :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
.and no, it's still hypocrisy. What makes it worse is when either of windows closed or stereo in a car reduces traffic noise far more than headphones do.

4F, how's that video of how often you look back coming along? I have a theory that those who think earphones are a bad safety idea will tend to use their ears to compensate for not looking behind enough.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Does anyone use headphones to just block out wind noise?
What sort of speeds do you have to be doing for windnoise to block out other noises?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1377674"]
I posted a few days ago to suggest that this wind noise argument is a red herring. All it takes is to turn your head to the side to remove the wind noise from the ear which is now facing backwards. As you should regularly be doing this anyway when you ride you get the added benefit of being able to hear behind you as well as see. Wind noise or not, headphones remove this benefit.
[/quote]

Indeed, I was going to mention that. It is something I do.

Norm

[QUOTE 1377674"] I posted a few days ago to suggest that this wind noise argument is a red herring. All it takes is to turn your head to the side to remove the wind noise from the ear which is now facing backwards. As you should regularly be doing this anyway when you ride you get the added benefit of being able to hear behind you as well as see. Wind noise or not, headphones remove this benefit. [/quote]I noticed on Sunday that there was significant wind noise when standing around wearing headphones.

I wasn't cycling, or even walking, just standing and I didn't have music playing at the time, but the wind whistled round the cables so much that I had to take them out to be a part of the conversation.

Jezston

Über Member
What sort of speeds do you have to be doing for windnoise to block out other noises?

Anything above 10mph if it's moderately windy and you are out in the open. Tall buildings in cities may reduce this a fair amount.

Nothing blocks out other noises like wind noise. Total broadband 'noise' that covers the complete audible frequency spectrum, and is incredibly loud.

Jezston

Über Member
THEORETICAL TANGENT!

1. What do we need hearing for when riding anyway?

That car coming up behind? What are we supposed to do with this information?

2. As humans, our ability to locate sound sources is rubbish. With loads of noise in cities, and lots of hard reflective surfaces around that ability is all but ruined. How many times have you turned round suddenly because of what sounded like a car suddenly accellerating hard up behind you, to find nothing there?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
THEORETICAL TANGENT!

1. What do we need hearing for when riding anyway?

That car coming up behind? What are we supposed to do with this information?

2. As humans, our ability to locate sound sources is rubbish. With loads of noise in cities, and lots of hard reflective surfaces around that ability is all but ruined. How many times have you turned round suddenly because of what sounded like a car suddenly accellerating hard up behind you, to find nothing there?

Never

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Does anyone use headphones to just block out wind noise? I wouldn't have thought so.
What sort of speeds do you have to be doing for windnoise to block out other noises? Too fast to be able to do on a bicycle that's for sure

Jezston

Über Member
By which I meant it turned out to be not a car accellerating directly towards you from behind, but one going the other way, or elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom