Listening to music whilst riding?

Would you ever (even consider) listening to music whilst cycling?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

Can I ask all of the people that insist that ipods are dangerous if they travel at such a slow speed that they eliminates wind noise?

The reason that I ask is because I find that riding at anything over 15mph causes far more audio interference than my ipod playing in my left ear. In fact it totally drowns out Agadoo. :wacko:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My fear is not just the sound in your ear from music or even wind noise. It's the loss of concentration. I know that drivers have music or talk radio on whilst driving so why not cyclists.

I, for one, feel that I need to concentrate on everything around me just that little bit more cycling than driving. Not that I don't concentrate whilst driving. I don't have to think about pot holes quite as much. I have to anticipate more what other road users are going to do. I need to recognise whether or not they have seen me (this is often looking at their eyes) have they focused on me or past me.

I know that I sometimes need to turn off from my music or, more often, Radio 4 and really concentrate on situations on the road. This I find I can do with the Radio from the car speaker but find more difficult if I'm plugged into it. Even one headphone and I find the distraction of sound, ear fitting, cable etc too much. I've tried riding, walking to the pub listening to a programme I was into before leaving home, but always found it one input too many. Perhaps I'm one of those people that can't walk and chew gum but I don't think so.

I have a hands free kit for my phone but find that, if in a difficult situation on the road, people are repeating my name or hello thinking I can't hear them as I've stopped talking to concentrate on a more demanding situation.

I'm not against others listening to music or whatever as they go about their activities but it is not for me.

Another thing I've often noticed though is those that cannot be without their sounds. I've watched lads meet their girlfriend and have to put in one earpiece as they walk off holding hands. Maybe she waffles on to much for him so has to drown her out with his music;).

potsy

Rambler
I find that my concentration is all for the road,so much so that I realise I'm halfway through a track I like and hadn't even realised it was on.

Now come on,EAR-EAR this is no matter to be taken half listening or for that matter not paying attention to what is possibly the worst way to go,being squashed to oblivion without seeing the executioner.At least the fly or moth that hits the windscreen at speed gets to see the driver or passenger and then a split second of its' own arse.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

potsy said:
I find that my concentration is all for the road,so much so that I realise I'm halfway through a track I like and hadn't even realised it was on.

+1 and sometimes I forget to turn it on.

Stephenite

Membå
Possibly voted 'no' by mistake.

Sometimes listen to music when bombing round the forest tracks. But never on the road.

monkeypony

By the time your going over 25mph you can hear bugger all of your surroudings other than wind noise so I really can't see an issue with it. Wether I've got headphones in or not I have to rely on what I can see rather than what I can hear.

If you can't cope with the 'distraction' of music while riding then you probably shouldn't be out on the roads.

Barbelier

I can understand the desire to listen to music on a daily commute.

However, all of my cycling is for pleasure along the quietest, most scenic country lanes I can find. Listening to music would spoilt the pleasure.

dodgy

How does hearing a car approaching from behind make you safer? Do you jump off the bike into the bushes every time you hear one or something?

ramses

Confession

I am one who cycles with ears plugged in, although not on all occasions, but most.
I do accept that it probably isn't great, but I do like my tunes on the open road.

I am quite a visual cyclist though, I always check behind and around before making moves etc.. So personally I don't find it too much of a problem. I seem to have developed a sixth sense for cars behind me as well.

It hasn't hindered me yet. (Oh dear, I guess I have just cursed myself to something happening now!)

iShuffle needs a charge, so no music today :-(

monkeypony

totallyfixed said:
If you are not using all your senses whilst riding you definitely shouldn't be on the roads.

As I believe I pointed out, your hearing becomes useless when all you can hear is wind noise.

Top Bottom