Listening to music whilst riding?

Would you ever (even consider) listening to music whilst cycling?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

ComedyPilot said:
Not this one again........

Sorry, i looked around first - obviously not hard enough!

Ben Lovejoy said:
Not enough options in the poll: I wouldn't wear earphones but do listen to music on a speaker some of the time.

Yea, i was thinking of having 'other' but in a brief closed-mind moment i couldn't think what for :blush:

darkstar

I've never done it, though i've never listened to music whilst running either. Prefer to keep my head clear.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's extremely dangerous; you can't hear vehicles approaching from behind. And I tried listening to music once when skiing; I was shocked at how reckless I became.

ASC1951

Guru
John the Monkey said:
What if you're at a really bad karaoke?
Walk out!

Actually that would be my Room 101 torment. I was so hopeless at singing as a child that I was made to do a solo scale in front of the class at the beginning of each music lesson then excused any further participation. Scarred me for life.

At that age it never occurs to you to say "No, you sadist, sing it yourself."

Fandango

I have a small radio that fits into my bar bag side netting. I like listening to talk radio on medium wave, the netting allows me to swivel the radio for reception when I go around corners ;)

I do get some funny looks sometimes but I wouldn't dream of wearing headphone tbh.

MP3 player on my phone, every time I go out on my own. Why do people think it's dangerous?

The only downside in my opinion is the inability to hear the bike, I've no idea how long the bottom bracket of my Africa Bike was making a noise before I became aware of it last week.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
The Highway Code
General advice (144-158)

Safe driving and riding needs concentration.
Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as
  • loud music (this may mask other sounds)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070309

It may be just advice and not actually law but cyclists should certainly take heed of this. Headphones in ears even with music not at full blast is really equivalent to loud music, it masks other sounds.

Personally I'd make this law, along with wearing cycle helmets and clamping down firmly on RLJers.

/me runs and hides

;)

Martok

Klingon on a bike
mickle said:
Someone please tell me why listening to loud music through earphones whilst cycling is dangerous.

Because it makes cyclists less aware/oblivious to their surroundings and other road users. I've seen this too - an iPod wearing cyclist unable to hear the traffic behind him and causing a car to swerve as he made a manoevre which he wouldn't have done had he heard the vehicle behind. Both myself and HaloJ have also had close encounters on our bikes with iPod wearing cyclist who were oblivious to our presence as in their music bubble.

Martok said:
Because it makes cyclists less aware/oblivious to their surroundings and other road users. I've seen this too - an iPod wearing cyclist unable to hear the traffic behind him and causing a car to swerve as he made a manoevre which he wouldn't have done had he heard the vehicle behind. Both myself and HaloJ have also had close encounters on our bikes with iPod wearing cyclist who were oblivious to our presence as in their music bubble.

Where do deaf cyclists fit in to this world view? I ride as I ride, in primary or strong secondary. I look before I indicate and indicate before I manouver. The wearing of headphones changes my behaviour not a bit.

Those who argue against the use of earphones might be also want to campaign for the compulsory use of rear view mirrors by cyclists.

Top Bottom