Listening to music whilst riding?

Would you ever (even consider) listening to music whilst cycling?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
monkeypony said:
As I believe I pointed out, your hearing becomes useless when all you can hear is wind noise.
I can hear more than just wind noise when travelling at speed. Maybe your hearing has been damaged by your iPod being too loud when cycling. :biggrin:

monkeypony

Martok said:
I can hear more than just wind noise when travelling at speed. Maybe your hearing has been damaged by your iPod being too loud when cycling. :biggrin:

Maybe your idea of 'speed' is somewhat different to mine :biggrin:

bauldbairn

potsy said:
I find that my concentration is all for the road,so much so that I realise I'm halfway through a track I like and hadn't even realised it was on.

+1.

hackbike 666 said:
...and sometimes I forget to turn it on.

+1...and sometimes don't notice when it's finished. :ohmy: - :bicycle:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
In 2005, our leading cycling enthusiast at work was killed cycling in one morning, pulling out of a side junction into the path of a (non-speeding) car on the main road. It was a hell of a shock for all of us - he was a really nice guy and had been cycling for many, many years.

The accident was well-witnessed and took place on a section of road with good visibility. It seems he was just cycling on auto-pilot and simply hadn't taken in that a car was coming. One possible factor was that he was likely to have been listening to music as his headphones and player were found in the road.

He clearly didn't see the car or take it in. Whether hearing the car would have made a difference, I'll never know but to deprive yourself of a sense that can give you additional warning seems in hindsight such an easy thing to avoid.

John

Top Bottom