litelok and security marking questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Feel free to cut ahead to the 5:00 minute mark and then ... goddammit, i was hoping this was a break through :sad:

This has no value. Of course you can cut anything. They don't show cutting, so don't bother.
They did "test" it against an angle grinder, along with a blow torch. Video now pulled, so you can't see the manufacturer testing the lock.
The angle grinder didn't get through. They did try jacking it open but you've got to remember this is a flexible lock, making a jack fairly useless. All the required tests were carried out.

The ratings tests for the Sold Secure rating are all undertaken by Sold Secure at their labs in Daventry, by Sold Secure testers.

classic33

Leg End Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he5EsREkZe4

Should have got you this video
17.jpg

freiston

Veteran
There is a video online of a thief using a small crowbar to twist and pull the strap out of the lock body - about 17 seconds and no noisy powertools or long-handled croppers. Video not available in the UK due to a defamation case. The second video posted by classic33 above shows the actual lock from the 17 second theft (it is footage from a follow-up video by the theft-victim.

Oops! Classic33 posted again before I hit the button - I mean the second video in classic33's post made at 20:22.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is a video online of a thief using a small crowbar to twist and pull the strap out of the lock body - about 17 seconds and no noisy powertools or long-handled croppers. Video not available in the UK due to a defamation case. The second video posted by classic33 above shows the actual lock from the 17 second theft (it is footage from a follow-up video by the theft-victim.

Oops! Classic33 posted again before I hit the button - I mean the second video in classic33's post made at 20:22.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/5f8s47/litelok_bike_theft_in_just_17_seconds/
Worth a read of just what is supposed to have failed in the lock.

freiston

Veteran
Thanks for the link - an interesting read. I did manage to see the 'banned' videos and it is difficult to see exactly what the thief does or uses (it looks like security camera shots of the street) - but whatever he does, he appears to be using a short lever with a twisting or winding motion at the lock 'buckle' on the signpost side rather than the bike side (the bike was locked with the loop going round seat tube, rear rim and the post). He makes it look easy. The tool he used did look to have a wider piece at right angles to the end of the lever so it might have been an automotive tyre lever. In this cropped still, the blob in front of the door to the right of the thief's hand is the end of the lever.
34216389875_f68869a26f.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the link - an interesting read. I did manage to see the 'banned' videos and it is difficult to see exactly what the thief does or uses (it looks like security camera shots of the street) - but whatever he does, he appears to be using a short lever with a twisting or winding motion at the lock 'buckle' on the signpost side rather than the bike side (the bike was locked with the loop going round seat tube, rear rim and the post). He makes it look easy. The tool he used did look to have a wider piece at right angles to the end of the lever so it might have been an automotive tyre lever. In this cropped still, the blob in front of the door to the right of the thief's hand is the end of the lever.
View attachment 348972
It's only eight-twelve months since they've sent samples out for independent testing.

neil_barron 11 points 6 months ago

This is Neil Barron, the founder of Litelok. Litelok is on Reddit! Although not the way I might have expected.

I don’t know the full details yet. It’s hard to comment on something I haven’t seen in my hands. I’ve offered to collect the product at our expense immediately.

Josh - I apologise if you thought I came across as defensive when I phoned you. It certainly wasn’t my intention at all. And I have absolute belief in and am passionate about my product. I was just trying to understand the situation. Litelok has been tested against this particular attack many, many times. In our tensile tests we use machines to reach forces far greater than any human can achieve, with Liteloks meeting or exceeding industry standards.

We’ve just released another testing video which demonstrates the high security of Litelok. Here’s a link to the full video:

View: https://youtu.be/AH1dCtyMW6w

I understand that our original testing videos were too slick, so our new testing video is simple, straightforward and there are no film cuts during tool attacks.

Over the last few months I’ve also been sending Liteloks to third-party publications for testing.

We’re a small team, and we’ve spent well over two years of research and testing on this product. Every part of Litelok, including its connections and fixings, have been designed carefully and comprehensively to produce the best product possible.

I must stress that no lock is unbreakable. We always recommend getting bicycle insurance - especially in high-risk areas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/5f8s47/litelok_bike_theft_in_just_17_seconds/

Gunk

Guru
That lock was defeated in 3 seconds with a special cable cutter tool.

bolt cutters with flat blades seem to struggle, but I’ve seen videos where they’ve cut through pretty easily using cable cutters which have curved jaws.

classic33

Leg End Member
Less likely to be questioned over carrying a spoon than you are a pair of bolt cutters, or cable cutters

Gunk

Guru
If you really don’t want your bike stolen then take the bus. What ever quality lock you use there is always a risk. If these scroats are determined enough they’ll relieve you of your pride and joy.

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you really don’t want your bike stolen then take the bus. What ever quality lock you use there is always a risk. If these scroats are determined enough they’ll relieve you of your pride and joy.
Ridiculous proposal.
I tried that.
Had to get 2 buses there and 2 back.
Got home to find the bike had been nicked :wacko:

Thats a joke BTW^_^

froze

Über Member
I agree, this is an absurd comment, it's a all or nothing comment from someone who can't think of alternatives. All a person needs to do is buy a $300 or so used bike and ride that to places where you need to lock it up, then you can buy a $40 lock instead of a $300 lock that can be defeated anyways. A pro thief will not even be interested in a $300 or so used bike. I knew a guy when I went to college who bought a decent mid-level used bike, he then took a bicycle chain and beat the crap out of the frame so it looked really bad, then rode it to college that was known for bike thieves, and it never got stolen. I don't think you need to get that extreme, but if you buy a decent mid-level old 80's era steel bike, I doubt it would get stolen, and if it does, you're only out $300 or so plus the $40 lock instead of $1,200 or so plus a $300 lock.

Top Bottom