litelok and security marking questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plumpton

Regular
Hi all

Im hoping to take delivery of a new bike in the next few weeks. Im keen to make sure it doesn't get stolen so am spending my time looking in to some bike security options.

Im thinking of getting a litelok and security mark by bike with the permanent marking kit from Bike Register.

Whats everyones opinion on these items. Any suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd get a proper D lock (Kryptonite fahg or abus granit) and a cable to secure the front wheel
Getting the bike marked and registered is a good idea. The police often do for free

Make sure the bike is fully insured too in case the worst does happen. Unfortunately, if someone really wants your bike, it will get stolen :sad: this is very important if buying on credit or C2W

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Thanks for the info. Ive sent an email to Ellen and the local police and will see what she says.

Not sure about the Kryptonite lock. There are vids on YouTub of them being picked in seconds....

My new bike will be a Brompton and I wont have anywhere to secure a D lock when cycling...

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info. Ive sent an email to Ellen and the local police and will see what she says.

Not sure about the Kryptonite lock. There are vids on YouTub of them being picked in seconds....

My new bike will be a Brompton and I wont have anywhere to secure a D lock when cycling...
Why do you need to lock a Brompton up outside, surely that's the point of folding bikes, you can take them inside!

Put the lock in a bag, there are some snazzy ones for Bromptons

I expect you'll find any lock can be picked very quickly. I'm surprised about the Fahg, are you sure it's not a lower spec thinner lock?

A £1k bike, definitely insure it!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

It's your call, but I wouldn't leave my bike secured with just a cable lock other than outside a cafe, etc where it's in sight. Even the best ones are too easy to get around for a determined thief.
It's a minor inconvenience carrying a heavy D lock around, but it would be much more of a pain having to walk home and then deal with all the hassle of a claim.
Depending on your insurance, you may have to use a specific standard of lock anyway.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
I do hope to take it everywhere with me where possible but there are always occasions where its not possible so I need a lock. I can also lock it up in my car boot when not in use too...

Checked my household insurance today and they will cover the full amount of the brompton when out and about.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's your bike so do what you are happy with. I'm sure the other lock is fine if leaving locked in a car or somewhere just for a few minutes
As above, check your insurance policy for details

Enjoy it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it a current kryptonite being picked or the old recalled O ring version?

Anyway, I prefer a 13+mm D lock through frame and wheel, with an alarmed 12+mm braid-of-braids cable lock through frame, stand and other wheel. The bike isn't worth that much but I would be annoyed by its loss.

I wouldn't give details of my bikes to the likes of BikeRegister or Immobilie unless they get stolen. No point advertising what I've got.

classic33

Leg End Member
The one problem I have with online sites where you register your details, is that they are there for all to see. Right down to the frame number.

I "recovered" one bike from a shop that was selling it using one such site. Seen it in the shop, to good to be true price, checked online, up it comes. Went back with the frame number, checked and then it was taken by the police when they came. I explained, giving the crime number(again on clear view). Hopefully the owner got their bike back.

Top Bottom