litelok and security marking questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
is that the general view about the litelok.... not recommended then?
They don't actually exist yet, so no. Edit - oops, they do thanks @User

A lighter, strong lock is possible I'm sure, but I need to convinced.

I watched a video of someone picking the fahgettaboudit, and I think it's faked. It appears to be picking the lock, not breaking it, yet after you can remove and replace the shackle without the key meaning the lock is broken, so it probably was before they started filming.
Being able to lock without the key is a bug not a feature : you don't want to realise you haven't brought the key after it's already locked.

Wearing this lock would be foolish in case you end up in A&E without the key. Have a look at at hiplok if you want to wear a lock.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
II'd stick the details on Immobilise.com.
thanks for the pointer. Will check em out.

I used my folder without a lock for 10,000 km. There were a few occasions when one might have been handy, but as I didn't need it most if time, I never bought one. And if I owned it, I would rarely have have carried it; why add a couple of kgs of dead weight to your folder? The times I would have used it was when wandering between places in the West End, and I don't think locking your brompton there is a good idea anyway, so better to leave it at work.

Because I didn't have a key, I brazened my way into all sorts of unlikely pubs, restaurants, theatres, cinemas. I was never turned away.

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Being able to lock without the key is a bug not a feature : you don't want to realise you haven't brought the key after it's already locked.

Im also a motorbike rider and have some pretty beefy chains that lock without a key so am well versed with this. I have a routine to check keys every time before locking.

My thoughts about the litelok is that I would keep it on the bike all the time using the supplied velcro strips. My bike is "going" to be a brompton once it arrives so I expect to be carrying it around most of the time when not in use... The litelok would be locked through the wheels and frame when folded...

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP is in Cambridge though not London, he'd need to ask local plod what they use,or Google

vickster

Legendary Member
None of my bikes are marked
The only bike I've had stolen was marked, but I never heard hide nor hair or it again (not that I was that fussed as it was a Specialized anyway and too big)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
oh.... So are you chaps suggesting I should not use any of these marking services then?
Exactly. Any modern bike will be marked with its frame number already so just note that and take some pictures and keep it all in the fire safe with other important documents.

Don't upload anything to someone else's website unless you'd be happy for them to publish it.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hmm .... locking a Brompton .... in Cambridge. If they are as popular as in London, don't give it a name.

yeah, the more I think of it, the more this is a good idea. Locks have only improved in the last 20 years by getting thicker, heavier - oh - and having locks that can't be picked with a Bic :laugh: This industry is very ready for a disruptor. I'll be watching this thread.

Top Bottom