litelok and security marking questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How long is it, enough to get over a head and shoulder Sam Browne style?

OP
OP
P

Plumpton

Regular
Here are the pics...

Thanks for the pics. How are you finding storing it on your bike?

I ended up not getting this lock because I had concerns about how I would store it on a Brompton. I dont have bags :-( I have ended up with the Abus 6500 which does seem to be OK and is easy to fold up and store on the bike when not in use...

I originally started this thread before getting my bike. It arrived earlier this week and im really pleased with it. I have not security marked it yet because there were lots of opinions on Bike Register and Immobilise.

I did speak to the local Police about security marking. They recommended Immobilise. Ive had a look on the immobilise site and they dont seem to do bike specific etching like Bike Register. Still not sorted that yet so in the mean time I'm just being careful and not leaving my new bike anywhere....

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the pics. How are you finding storing it on your bike?

I ended up not getting this lock because I had concerns about how I would store it on a Brompton. I dont have bags :-( I have ended up with the Abus 6500 which does seem to be OK and is easy to fold up and store on the bike when not in use...

I originally started this thread before getting my bike. It arrived earlier this week and im really pleased with it. I have not security marked it yet because there were lots of opinions on Bike Register and Immobilise.

I did speak to the local Police about security marking. They recommended Immobilise. Ive had a look on the immobilise site and they dont seem to do bike specific etching like Bike Register. Still not sorted that yet so in the mean time I'm just being careful and not leaving my new bike anywhere....
You'll have made a note of the frame number, and photo's taken?

Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks for the info. Ive sent an email to Ellen and the local police and will see what she says.

Not sure about the Kryptonite lock. There are vids on YouTub of them being picked in seconds....

My new bike will be a Brompton and I wont have anywhere to secure a D lock when cycling...

That's the really old Kryptonite locks with the round keys. The FAGH is one of the toughest locks out there

Reactions: mjr
That's the really old Kryptonite locks with the round keys. The FAGH is one of the toughest locks out there
there are videos like this one

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYv4uq_eML8

I think it's fake. He's unpicking it, not breaking it, yet at the end of the video the lock is broken. You can't take it apart unless the key is in there.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They did try jacking it open but you've got to remember this is a flexible lock, making a jack fairly useless.

I'm pretty sure a jack can still be wedged inside the loop and force exerted. Have you got a link where you're getting this from, please?

All the required tests were carried out.

The ratings tests for the Sold Secure rating are all undertaken by Sold Secure at their labs in Daventry, by Sold Secure testers.
Yeah, but I expect most of us have seen the criticism of the tests for the Sold Secure rating on various sites as not reflecting the real world and videos of "gold" locks being cut simply by using longer croppers than the Sold Secure standard uses. Gold seems an odd name for a lock award, given its famous softness. OK, pretty conspicuous if a thief carries a very long cropper, but there are cycle parks inside car parks where they could hide them in a car and drive up close.

I'm also wondering why they used a blowtorch instead of a portable welder, but really, at that point, they're just going to cut the parking stand and take the bike to a private place where they can spend as much time as they like removing any lock!

Nevertheless, it's an interesting lock and it's good to see some innovation. It's something like six years now since decent folding locks came out, isn't it?

classic33

Leg End Member
The locking mechanism itself remains inflexible, just like that of the similar b'twin.
Appeared, then disappeared off the market a few years ago.

freiston

Veteran
The video linked above, and all the notes/comments, has gone 'unavailable'.

My first thought on seeing the item on Evans website was if it would withstand a heat attack (I was thinking burning/melting) - what happened with the blow torch?

classic33

Leg End Member
The video linked above, and all the notes/comments, has gone 'unavailable'.

My first thought on seeing the item on Evans website was if it would withstand a heat attack (I was thinking burning/melting) - what happened with the blow torch?
It got beat in seconds, in America. By someone who knew what they were doing.

You just had to use less force cutting it seems.

Top Bottom