Lithium ion battery lamp storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Just a question.Now the lighter mornings are on the way,It won't be long before lights will be put away. What's the best way to store them fully charged and just in a dry environment. Or periodic charges throughout the summer.What do you recommend?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The experts say partially charged, but I've usually left them at full charge.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Best stored at about 60% charge. I've not had any issues with them being fully charged, though there are reports (from my RC days) that if they warm up they can naturally become over-charged which can be an issue.
Definitely don't leave them fully discharged.

si_c

Guru
I just put them in the drawer at whatever % battery they have left. On the flip side, my lights have 18650 rechargeable batteries, so my situation is slightly different as I can replace them at will.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The best range for them to be kept is between 20% and 80% charged - this is the range electric cars keep their batteries at which is why they last longer than phone batteries.

Because they lose an initial 5% then 5% a month (3% from the safety circuit rather than actual self discharge) they should just about last the summer but would benefit from a charge part way through to be on the safe side.

gbb

Legendary Member
After a poor year on the bike last year, my lights / batteries (4x18650 pack) hardly got used, if at all last winter.
Earlier this year i fitted my wifes bike with those lights / batteries. They'd been in a cupboard for maybe 12 months and lit up as soon as I switched them on and stayed lit for hours. I assume I'd put them away with a high state of charge...and they maintained a good proportion of that charge all year.

Top Bottom