Litter !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The enemy and I did the wiggle standard sportive today around the New Forest, a truly stunning bit of England.

Why the flippity blumen blasty 'eck do cyclists chuck their energy bar/gel wrappers in the road?

What the hell, is the matter with people? You take the the package out of your pocket, make sure it goes back in, don't chuck it on the floor you blumen idiot moron!

...and breath.

Peteaud

Veteran
I did the Rattler there a few months ago and it was the same thing.

I take a small freezer bag and put my rubbish in and keep it in the back pocket.

(any gel oozing will cover the inside of the bag, not your pocket)

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Because they expect that someone will clean it up :rolleyes:

I expect your right, but it's moronic. Further more in this particular area, in fact the the whole of the new forest, there are free roaming animals all over, horses, donkeys, ass', cows, sheep. All just grazing on the grass by the sides of the roads, on the moors and in the woods. It's possible that they could eat this litter.

Cyclists get enough grief as it is, why make it worse by giving folk a reason to neg us by throwing litter.

Fools.

Arch

Married to Night Train
TBH though, I think most of it is just downright thoughtlessness.

I agree. Confront them, and most would suddenly be very embarrassed.

There are, and always will be, however, a lot of people who simply think their needs countermand all else. They are, you see, Very Important. Whether at work, driving, or riding their Very Expensive Bicycles. They can't possibly risk losing a second putting their wrapper back in their pocket because they Must Win, even though they aren't actually racing.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I agree. Confront them, and most would suddenly be very embarrassed.

There are, and always will be, however, a lot of people who simply think their needs countermand all else. They are, you see, Very Important. Whether at work, driving, or riding their Very Expensive Bicycles. They can't possibly risk losing a second putting their wrapper back in their pocket because they Must Win, even though they aren't actually racing.

Well perceived.

You have just reminded me of another rant I wanted to make about some of todays cyclists, but I can't be be bothered now, and I don't to put to much of a downer on what was a lovely day and a smashing bike ride.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You'd think since so many people do rides like that because of the views and the route, that they would want to help preserve it.

I don't know that the litterers do it because of the views. The route, maybe, but only so that they can brag about the distance and climbs and so on.

Anyone who feels they need energy gel on a ride is probably bent too far over the bars to look round. Anyone enjoying the view would stop for cake... ;)

Littering in general just seems endemic now.

OT What did everyone eat before these energy gels?
I did 40 miles this morning and managed quite happily without anything more than a High 5 in water. Even then the High 5 as it was a freebie with a Wiggle order, otherwise it would have been just water. Graham Obree recommended jam sandwiches - quick sugar hit from the jam, followed by carbs from the bread. Cake would work too.

There was a peasant laying in the road during the ride, looked fairly fresh. Perhaps I should have done a bit of wombling myself.

Top Bottom