Little Gems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
P J O' Rourke once said something like, 'There's a lot of discussion over the best car to use for off-road racing - some people say a saloon car, some a 4WD, some a sports car. I say the best is a hire car.'

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Catrike UK said:
Just because you are paranoid, it does not mean they are not out to get you.

Perhaps only Norm and I will have a certain tune stuck in our minds for the rest of the day now!!

thanks

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']P J O' Rourke once said something like, 'There's a lot of discussion over the best car to use for off-road racing - some people say a saloon car, some a 4WD, some a sports car. I say the best is a hire car.'[/QUOTE]

Hire cars are the fastest cars in the world;)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Moodyman said:
So a £99 bike from Argos is more fun than a £1,000 bike?
And a Nissan Micra is more fun than an Aston Martin?

I don't think that's what Norm was saying. What he's saying is that the £1k bike though far better than a £99 bike, is not 1010% better.

Law of diminishing returns.

In that case fair enough.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Norm said:
Go on, then, try and have more fun in a car that costs £150k than you could in a £20 scrappie special and a big empty field. :laugh:

But don't bring me the repair bill. :becool:

This sort of misconception plagued me through many Porsches and BMWs which I worried about parking anywhere. Now I have a 20 year old Land Rover.

That's if your idea of fun is driving round an empty field. If it's driving fast (on a track obviously) then I'll have an expensive sports car please!

(edited for typo)

Norm

This is all getting a little silly now, it was a throw away line and not something that I had anticipated needing to defend.

Admittedly it was a while ago, but the last time I drove an expensive (approx £500k) car round a track, I had a lot of things on my mind and I didn't have any fun at all.

Have you actually thought about it, though, Ben? Would you really break out laughing driving an Aston round a track? Or break into a cold sweat? :becool:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Norm said:
This is all getting a little silly now, it was a throw away line and not something that I had anticipated needing to defend.

Admittedly it was a while ago, but the last time I drove an expensive (approx £500k) car round a track, I had a lot of things on my mind and I didn't have any fun at all.

Have you actually thought about it, though, Ben? Would you really break out laughing driving an Aston round a track? Or break into a cold sweat? :rain:

Sorry for mentioning it! :laugh:

I have done some track days, not in an Aston mind you, and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than if I'd been driving a cheap slow car. Isn't that what insurance is for?

Let's just draw a line under this whole sorry affair.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
* If you look after it, it will look after you (the bike).
* When cycling on the road, think like a driver (to pre-empt hazards).
* Cars only give you as much space as you give yourself (meaning don't hug the kerb).

Moodyman

Legendary Member
But drivers dont think

Precisely. I drive and I know the risky/silly maneuvres I can make when driving, so if I anticipate others making them when I'm cycling, I'll be alright.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Norm said:
The amount of fun you can have on or in any vehicle / boat is inversely proportional to how much it cost.

+ 1 :rain:

Check your repair kit regularly- the glue in them little tubes can sometimes dry out completely which can leave you stuck (forgive the pun!) if you haven't got a spare inner tube.

If you are fixing something to your handlebars like a bell or light fixing, and you haven't got any spare strips of rubber- cut out bits of an old inner tube instead it'll work just as well.

Check all the nuts and bolts often to make sure they're tight enough. I once had a pannier rack come loose on me mid-ride and jam the back wheel- ouch!

If you have an old stylee front dynamo for a light (one that runs along the tyre wall), never fiddle about with it while you are riding to try to get it to work better. It may get jammed in your spokes and you'll go ar$e over tit. This is a particularly bad idea if you have a pannier full of curry from the local tandoori at the time and it happens just as you are passing a group of local teenagers :laugh: (Still at least you'll only do it once!)

Top Bottom