Little wheels = abuse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It's not just something different. I rode a Brompton for five years, and it was rare that a week would go by without some yoof taking the piss. Now I ride a TRICE Q, and yoofs seem to think it's the best thing they've ever seen.

As for overtaking full-size bikes on a Brompton, I did it quite often, but then I was going two miles to the station and they were probably going 20 miles. :-)

Ben

Fiona N

Veteran
When I saw this thread title I thought it referred to physical abuse as in getting a hammering from the bike. Which I have done. But I can't remember ever getting verbal abuse when riding the Airnimal. Maybe the wheels weren't small enough or the local kiddies are too polite :evil:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm a bit surprised my your reports of abuse. I can only remember one occasion when someone said, 'Haven't you got a proper bike?' when out on my Brompton. A lot more people comment on how nice/cool/clever it is. Even kids.

I rode a folder for a while and soon learned it's not a bike for shrinking violets. Especially up in the north west where they aren't so common. (Different in London where Bromptons are passe! ;) )

Most the comments I got were positive. But on one occasion in Warrington I had a 'modified' Corsa with a female driver and male passenger driven along side me for about half a mile, the passenger leaning out the window repeatedly telling me I was gay.

I found I could do "fast" on the folder but it required much more effort to maintain the speed.

GrahamG

Guru
summerdays said:
I was overtaken by 2 folding bikes yesterday - the first one didn't count because basically he only kept ahead of me as he jumped every red light he could find ....:smile:

The second one impressed me and I wanted to keep up to see what else he did - he was bunny hopping up and down kerbs and riding it as if it was a BMX bike (he also looked like he should of been riding a BMX bike). I was impressed that the bike could stand upto that sort of treatment, and go that fast.:smile::biggrin:

:sad: That's awesome.

One thing I've noticed in Bristol - red light jumping is so often done by 'proper' looking cyclists, drivers must get really confused when student lookalike (scruff!) me waits for the green.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
ed_o_brain said:
male passenger ... the passenger leaning out the window repeatedly telling me I was gay
Perhaps he was interested, and asking.

Didn't you blow him a little kiss and ask if he regularly cruised the streets looking for action? :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
A few years ago I hired and rode a Brompton across London for a few months when I had a temp job there at a sheltered housing block. When I drove I was getting told off for using up valuable visitors parking. When I rode the Brompton I was told off riding a kids bike and risking an accident and so not getting into work.
When I didn't manage to get myself eaten by the traffic the people at work and the tenants eventually came around and accepted that it wasn't all that bad, small wheels and all.

Anyway, it's not the wheel size it's the stamina.

ccj

ed_o_brain said:

I found I could do "fast" on the folder but it required much more effort to maintain the speed.

Interesting: which folder were you riding?

kit-small-wheels

Resurrecting this thread, I had exactly that tonight riding my 1963 Moulton Safari.

Two 'yoofs' on MTBs got upset as I cruised past them on my normal short circuit around here, and chased after me shouting abuse about 'toy bikes', 'girlies' and other such phrases. So I slowed down for them to catch up and suggested they try and catch me......... :smile:

Then shifted into 15th or 16th gear and blew them away! Cheek...... :angel:

(The Safari has a Dacon 4 speed converter on a Sturmey 5-2 BTW)

I was "abused" by a four year old!

Stopped at lights on the cycle path on the Brompton, and after a studied look at the bike, he turned to mum and said

" Look Mum, his wheels are even smaller than mine!"

Woz!

I've had similar on my Brompton with kids shouting the odd bit of abuse. Funnily enough though, when a couple of kids from my road did it, I stopped and showed them how it folded and they were impressed!

That's the main problem I have with the Brompton - when I used to take it on the train I could guarantee I would have 3-4 people a week walk up and want to have a conversation about my bike after they'd seen it fold down so fast and neat!

tyred

Legendary Member
My folder is a very ancient Raleigh 20. I have had some abuse from youngsters. I remember some ten year old laughing at it as he had gears on his supermarket MTB and I didn't. I tried to explain that I actually had 3 gears but he couldn't understand how it works. Made me realise there is a now a generation out there that have never experienced the joys of a SA hub.

I do enjoy riding it but only on smooth roads. It shakes you to bits on a rough one. On a smooth road, I never cease to be amazed at how fast it can actually go. On an 8 mile loop I do quite often, I can do it faster on the R20 than I can on my slick tyred MTB.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've had people laugh at the wheels on my Daewoo Shuttle. I don't blame them, TBH. It looks bloody ridiculous.
Maybe some drop bars would help.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Woz! said:
I've had similar on my Brompton with kids shouting the odd bit of abuse. Funnily enough though, when a couple of kids from my road did it, I stopped and showed them how it folded and they were impressed!

Doing a try out roadshow a few years back (the last of 9 shows in 9 days in 9 different towns, god that was a week and a half) I was wearily packing up a Pashley Micro to go in the van. Just as I undid the central catch a cocky little kid rolled up on a BSO MTB and said "your bike's crap!". It had been a long week, so I just looked at him and said "I don't think much of yours either, but I wouldn't be so rude as to to say so" and folded the bike in half. He gawped and said "Oh, that's one of them cool bikes!". "So why did you say it was crap then?" I asked, and he tried to deny he'd said it..

Crankarm

Guru
summerdays said:
.......... he was bunny hopping up and down kerbs and riding it as if it was a BMX bike (he also looked like he should of been riding a BMX bike). I was impressed that the bike could stand upto that sort of treatment, and go that fast.:tongue::biggrin:

Probably nicked...as was my 1st Brommie L6 in central London :wacko:. I wasn't on it at the time mind. The only and first time I couldn't take it with me (entry refused) so had to lock it up with my supposedly very secure Kryptonite D-lock which was also being surveilled by a CCTV camera :biggrin::sad:.

I don't know what you guys think is abuse but what I have read is more like slightly annoying sarcasm. I've never had "abuse" shouted at me when I'm on mine (new L6). You have the kids 4-10 year olds occasionally shouting stuff but nothing offensive and the ones that do shout stuff are more curious than malevolent and know no better. They have only seen bikes with big wheels so a small wheeled bike is a novelty to them. A quick demonstration of the folding unfolding wins many hearts and minds as the Brompton is a truly amazing design. Kids are often speechless and finally come out with a "Wo....w, that's cool!" Their eyes are also the size of saucers or Brommie wheels. However groups of teenagers on a friday night with bottles of booze can be problematic but that is no different than for any other cyclist on their bike. If anything they are more curious than threatening. Generally nothing more than the odd ignorant comment are shouted from one moron at worst, nothing to get upset about. You just have to realise that cycling on a folder particularly a Brompton outside central London you are going to attract a lot of attention as few have seen them. Even going shopping with it putting it in the trolley so you don’t have to lock it up, I find people of all ages and backgrounds are interested, a very very few make stupid comments but for the most part people are curious and friendly. Think of yourself as an ambassador for cycling and the more people that see it as a really practical piece of equipment to get about the better. When I have toured in France on it the locals are so curious and won't miss an opportunity to stop you or come across for a chat, demonstration or test ride. It is a great way of meeting and engaging with people in talking bikes which in my books has got to be good :ohmy:.

Top Bottom