Little wheels = abuse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kit-small-wheels

Crankarm said:
When I have toured in France on it the locals are so curious and won't miss an opportunity to stop you or come across for a chat, demonstration or test ride. It is a great way of meeting and engaging with people in talking bikes which in my books has got to be good :smile:.

I've taken my Safari to Normandy twice and been astonished at the reaction of French, both cyclists and non-cylists, to it. Most are amazed that it's over 45 years old now, and assume it's a relatively modern bike.

A refreshing change in attitude from here in the UK. I've had 'serious' cyclists suggest that I was mentally deranged to even think about riding '.....something like that'. :rolleyes:

TheKrellMachine

Riding to work on my Moulton TSR30, I'm going so fast that I've never encountered anyone who could see the bike, with it's 20" wheels; space-frame construction and drop bars, then have enough time to form and express an opinion, before I've shot off into the distance :rolleyes:

But I've seen a few long takes :smile: as people try to work it out.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Everyone seems to love my Brompton. I'm amazed, because it's a really silly-looking thing. Fast now, though, with the modifications almost complete - the final stage is a 54T chainwheel (I'll need 54 x 13 for the BWR) with sealed bearing jockey wheels.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've had the odd snigger or snide comment when out on the Jetstream (which generally attracts positive remarks, actually), most of the humour I seem to cause I think is the result of my (co-ordinated) kit. I got a comment from a guy outside the local pub the other week- I was in full kit, he seemed to find my appearance amusing. I'm sure the state of his liver would be as funny to me.....And I'd just done 44 miles, felt fine. I doubt he'd have managed that.

kit-small-wheels

I went on a local 'Cycling for Health' ride near here y'day that was run by the Forestry Commision on the Dean Forest tracks. Needless to say my Safari was the only non-MTB type bike there. Amongst the 18 riders were two young lads, maybe 9-10, and they were fascinated by my bike. Their Mum asked me if it was '...a new design' and when I told her it was 46 years old she nearly fell off! ;)

The two lads immediately named it 'The Victorian Bike' and so it was called for the rest of the ride. But they both wanted one! Amazing, and very gratifiying too.

john59

Guru
I’ve ridden my Brompton around the Wirral and had a mixture of abuse and interest. Rode my Brompton in Italy and had nothing but interest from many nationalities. It seems, to me, that if you’re different than the norm then expect abuse in certain areas of the UK. Narrow minds!

Top Bottom