Live Rocket Launch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not directly after the launch but subsequent orbits later in the evening apparently
I was thinking that we may be able to see the rocket during the launch phase, but on subsequent orbits it will be too high (and be smaller??).
Can exspurts confirm this?

Still, it would be nice to watch the ISS go by, knowing that the 2 guys in their capsule are in hot pursuit just behind it, even if invisible to the naked eye!

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I was thinking that we may be able to see the rocket during the launch phase, but on subsequent orbits it will be too high (and be smaller??).
Can exspurts confirm this?

Still, it would be nice to watch the ISS go by, knowing that the 2 guys in their capsule are in hot pursuit just behind it, even if invisible to the naked eye!

The launch yesterday would meant the capsule was visible passimg over the UK about 20 mins later. Unfortunately the planned launch on Saturday will be a little earlier, so it won't be dark enough in the UK to see it. It will pass over in a second orbit when it is darker, but at that point only 15° above the horizon and very difficult to see.

C R

Guru
The launch yesterday would meant the capsule was visible passimg over the UK about 20 mins later. Unfortunately the planned launch on Saturday will be a little earlier, so it won't be dark enough in the UK to see it. It will pass over in a second orbit when it is darker, but at that point only 15° above the horizon and very difficult to see.
That was what I was thinking too. The nice thing with the timing of yesterday's launch was that the skies would already be darkening, with an earlier launch there's too much light to see the rocket.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just picked up on this. Did I see correctly, that the stage 1 booster rocket thing blasted them into space, then returned to earth and landed itself on a helicopter pad on a ship in the middle of the ocean? All within about 15 minutes? If so - outstanding, and beyond my little brain's comprehension! :notworthy:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just picked up on this. Did I see correctly, that the stage 1 booster rocket thing blasted them into space, then returned to earth and landed itself on a helicopter pad on a ship in the middle of the ocean? All within about 15 minutes? If so - outstanding, and beyond my little brain's comprehension! :notworthy:
Indeed it did. The image cut out at the crucial time so the landing was missed which was a shame.
But the whole thing is stunning.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Jump to 50 seconds on this for the landing from April last year. Proper Thunderbirds stuff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YyV-otP3pI

I have just watched these two pass, the ISS passed over the top of the half moon and the rocket about 7 minutes later much lower in the south west sky. Perfectly clear darkest country night apart from the crescent moon. The view from southern Spain would have been very good.

I watch these launches live on YT and the depending on lady luck, weather, time of day and a favourable launch trajectory go outside and watch them pass later. Postponed Starlink launch to occur in June with possibly an already scheduled later June launch, 120 satellites for the viewing if both go ahead.

Top Bottom