Liverpool - stuff to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Courtesy of northern's £1 seat sale will be in this fine city for a day in the nearish future - looking forward to it - haven't been for donkey's years.

Any suggestions for stuff to see, exhibitions, particularly temporary and free ones?

Drago

Legendary Member
The Cavern Club.

Drago

Legendary Member
nah - you disappoint me mr drago - i was going to say definitely not that - it's not the original place anyway as I understand it.
Aye laddie, it moved in the early 70's, but is rammed full of memorabilia and is quite a sight.

As a George Harrison fan I personally managed to resist the John and Yoko exhibition, but Worshipful Brother Venod rightly piints out that you may find it interrsting.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Aye laddie, it moved in the early 70's, but is rammed full of memorabilia and is quite a sight.

As a George Harrison fan I personally managed to resist the John and Yoko exhibition, but Worshipful Brother Venod rightly piints out that you may find it interrsting.
Was that exhibition curated overseen by the fearsome yoko? If so i may be a bit wary.

International Slavery Museum
Has that been changed?
I recall that in one of Stuart Maconies books, when he visited the city, that it was the Maritime & Slavery Museum, & that some residents objected to the combination
Even though the two are inextricably linked in that period of history

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not first hand experience, but, a (well travelled) friend of mine visited Liverpool recently, and really enjoyed a Beatles themed excursion, which took in the ferry across the Mersey. He said it was "Beatles era" music rather than pure Beatles. HE enjoyed it, to be honest, doesn't sound like my kind of fun, but, we are all different ;)

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Two cathedrals - one modern and intimate and the other gothic and huge
Central Library - built about 15 years ago - lovely views from the top
Maritime Museum - very interesting, tells stories not often heard
Matthew Street - all thing Beatles (other than the Beatles museum which is in the Albert Dock)
Burned-out church - just the shell after the German bombing - top of Bold Street
Philharmonic pub - famous for good beer and historic urinals
Walker Art Gallery - an art gallery like many others - nice cafe though
Tate Gallery - Tate of the north - I think the art is histerically funny, but many people think it is good

and many, many more

Has that been changed?
I recall that in one of Stuart Maconies books, when he visited the city, that it was the Maritime & Slavery Museum, & that some residents objected to the combination
Even though the two are inextricably linked in that period of history

The slavery museum is downstairs and the maritime museum is upstairs. Both are pretty good and you have the Tate next door and the new Liverpool museum on the next dock. For most of the muesums, the whats on
https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/whats
The old dock tours are interesting for local hiistory
https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/whatson/maritime-museum/event/old-dock-tour
The Egyptian gallery in the World Museum was redone a couple of years ago and is good.

There is also the small but interesting
https://vgm.liverpool.ac.uk/
whch is round the corner from the Cathedral and the even smaller (but still good)
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/garstang-museum/

Last edited:
River front and the Ferry - worth the trip if you have the time

All the museums as mentioned

Mathew street

about 17 million coffee shops that they started breeding the exact second I stopped working in the city centre with no decent coffee shops for 20 years!

Albert dock

I haven;t actually been on a sight seeing trip round the place for years - probably because it is too close!

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
It`s a grand city with some fine buildings and culture. I took my daughter there on the train for a day out a few weeks back and we both really enjoyed it. I don`t think I can add any more places already mentioned, but food wise the fish and chips at the Docklands Fish and Chips Bar on Albert Dock were top notch and well worth 5p short of a tenner each.
1632562072430.png

Enjoy your trip :smile:

Top Bottom