Liverpool - stuff to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
+1 for the Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral [the 'modern' one as people still call it even thought was finished in 1967, 7 years before the Anglican one]

The Anglican one is also 'new' but because its design is heavy Gothic revival by Giles Gilbert Scott people think it's really old- it was completed in 1974!

Last edited:
There is a bike hire scheme too. It's nice riding from the waterfront down Otterspool prom on a sunny day.

Best avoided if it's windy as it's inevitably a headwind back to the city...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Has that been changed?
I recall that in one of Stuart Maconies books, when he visited the city, that it was the Maritime & Slavery Museum, & that some residents objected to the combination
Even though the two are inextricably linked in that period of history
If you want to experience the full horror of the slave trade you need to come down here and visit Elmina Castle just on the coast here. The last place many Africans saw in Ghana. Sends a chill down your spine to walk around.

1632567423941.png

+1 for the Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral [the 'modern' one as people still call it even thought was finished in 1967, 7 years before the Anglican one]

The Anglican one is also 'new' but because its design is heavy Gothic revival by Giles Gilbert Scott people think it's really old- it was completed in 1974!
I was there when the Queen opened it
Actually I was firing Canons - it was supposed to be a 21 gun salute
but we were told we couldn't do that for some reason
so we went for 25 - but apparently that isn't allowed either
so we just fired them until we ran out of gunpowder (yes really!!:eek:)
apparently it is OK as long as it isn't planned to be one of the specified numbers
Must have been after 1975 but before 1978 because it was organised through the Venture Scouts and I wore my Navy Cadet shirt as it was flash proof - as well as period Artillery troop uniform

anyway - back to the topic

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Don't forget to carry a copy of The Sun to ingratiate yourself with the locals.
I well remember the anti sun grafitti in liverpool.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I recall that in one of Stuart Maconies books, when he visited the city, that it was the Maritime & Slavery Museum, & that some residents objected to the combination
Even though the two are inextricably linked in that period of history
ah yes, remember that - can't remember which of his fine books - will try to check out.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There's a U-boat over the river from the Tate in Birkenhead if you're into that sort of stuff... I haven't been since it was turned into a museum piece. It was just left rotting on display from when it was lifted a number of years ago.

*hmm, it appears to be closed due to maintenance. Not sure when it reopens*

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
See if you can spot the world's fastest disabled beggar...

I went to Liverpool with my family. As we came out of the station a dishevelled man in terrible pain limped up to us on crutches, dragging what appeared to be a severely mangled leg behind him. He desperately needed money for [insert heart-wrenching tale here]...

He later overtook us at speed on our stroll down to the dockside museums***!

We saw him again several times in various places around the city centre. The damage caused to his legs by running carrying crutches was obvious when seeing how much pain he was apparently in after overtaking likely-looking groups of tourists! :whistle:

*** @Blue Hills - I told you on one ride that I hadn't been to any museums. I'd forgotten about that trip to Liverpool. The Maritime/Slavery museums were interesting and did actually teach me something. I was impressed by the scale and design of the buildings. It was obvious how much money had passed through Liverpool over the centuries.

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you want an overall view, maybe an open top bus tour.. you will get a taste of the city .
Spend a couple of hours at the pier head. Enjoy the Liver and Cunard buildings.
St Georges Hall.....directly opposite Lime St station is well well a FREE visit....full of history.
FOOD.
Bold Street. Lots of choice but I recommend the Chinese at No 1.

Top Bottom