Liverpool - stuff to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
it was manchester?
Maybe, could have been anywhere ;-)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Train station.

The arch which spans over platforms 6 - 10 also extends over the taxi rank, and at its concourse end, it provides a spectacular vista over the city, which is dominated by the sublime neo-classical elegance of the nearby St Georges Hall.
thanks - will check out - I've only been to Lime Street once, donkey's years ago - was rushing through with work to get to Bootle so didn't really look around.
I also plan to check this out, especially if they have something good on - designed by the great Waterhouse no less.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/merseyside/the-north-western-liverpool

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
You could also have a look at the now former World Heritage Site of the waterfront.

Looks like the building of smelly football ground was the last straw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57879475
Do you ever say anything that isn't some sort of dig against something ? You may not be aware of it, but you seem incapable of saying anything nice or helpful, always just a little bit snidey all the time :sad:

You could also have a look at the now former World Heritage Site of the waterfront.

Looks like the building of smelly football ground was the last straw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57879475
Really don't see why UNESCO have done that. The docks that are being redeveloped for the football ground are out of the way and were very run down.

What do they want - there's nothing of significance there now - you can't live in the past.

I've no interest in football but a stadium might be good for other events too.

presta

Guru
The International Slavery Museum is grim, but a must see.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
many thanks folk - spent most of the day wandering around the streets and a bit of time in two pubs. I can only see so much gallery/museum stuff in a day without zonking out so I limited myself to seeing a fair bit of the Museum of Liverpool by the pierhead and The Walker Art Gallery.

Must admit to being a bit puzzled by the removal of world heritage status from the pierhead - do they want stuff set in aspic? - the council haven't actually knocked anything historical down have they?

Have been to Liverpool a couple of times before but this was the longest I have ever spent wandering around it - liked it a lot - will go back sometime to see more museums/culture - as I walked towards the pierhead, a young woman outside was trying to wave me into the maritime and slavery museum but I resisted - will see next time for the grim story. A fair bit of slavery and other bad stuff highlighted in the museum of liverpool.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
By the by, I was intrigued by the way the "lower town" was very busy once the day got going, but the upper bit near the Walker art gallery was very quiet. Maybe the season/weather.

A hell of a lot of roads dug up in that upper bit as well which made walking around there a bit of a pig. No work going on. I asked the barmaid in a nearby pub what it was all about - she said that the contractor had gone bust and things were on pause :sad: Hope they sort it out before I go back.

By the by, I was intrigued by the way the "lower town" was very busy once the day got going, but the upper bit near the Walker art gallery was very quiet. Maybe the season/weather.

A hell of a lot of roads dug up in that upper bit as well which made walking around there a bit of a pig. No work going on. I asked the barmaid in a nearby pub what it was all about - she said that the contractor had gone bust and things were on pause :sad: Hope they sort it out before I go back.

Think the new liverpool 1 development near the docks has boosted the lower town.

The removal of the heritage status was due to the new flats, dock in front of the 3 graces, new Everton stadium, ... and its been on the cards for ~8 years Its a tough line between preserving the area or new development. Nothing really has been knocked down, just the area has become more congested with new buildings.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Think the new liverpool 1 development near the docks has boosted the lower town.

The removal of the heritage status was due to the new flats, dock in front of the 3 graces, new Everton stadium, ... and its been on the cards for ~8 years Its a tough line between preserving the area or new development. Nothing really has been knocked down, just the area has become more congested with new buildings.
I really like the way the city seems to lead you downhill to the pier/dock front.
Despite the new building it is still I think quite an evocative area down there - maybe the fact that it was a blowy somewhat wet day helped - the river is broad and was pretty choppy and you really do get the feeling that though very connected to the UK the city is also on the edge/a gateway to a wider world far beyond Britain in all sorts of ways. That to me is the history despite what the heritage status folk think.

When I was down there a bunch of Bangladeshi or Indian background (British) women of a certain age asked me to take a group pic - tho not to a certain surprise from me in front of the Beatles statue.

They had come on a birthday cruise on the cruise ship docked there. From Southampton to Liverpool on a wet late October day.

"The last of the big spenders" one of them told me when i queried the cruise :smile:

Top Bottom