Liverpool - stuff to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
many thanks folk - spent most of the day wandering around the streets and a bit of time in two pubs. I can only see so much gallery/museum stuff in a day without zonking out so I limited myself to seeing a fair bit of the Museum of Liverpool by the pierhead and The Walker Art Gallery.

Must admit to being a bit puzzled by the removal of world heritage status from the pierhead - do they want stuff set in aspic? - the council haven't actually knocked anything historical down have they?

Have been to Liverpool a couple of times before but this was the longest I have ever spent wandering around it - liked it a lot - will go back sometime to see more museums/culture - as I walked towards the pierhead, a young woman outside was trying to wave me into the maritime and slavery museum but I resisted - will see next time for the grim story. A fair bit of slavery and other bad stuff highlighted in the museum of liverpool.
A bit negative maybe but I found the 'new' museum hard work. I did try it twice tbf and some of it, of course, was interesting. I enjoyed the 'old' museum (apart from a million school kids.........how do they make so much noise:wacko:).
The slavery one is (imo) a must next time you visit.

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you have the time its worth taking a trip out to Crosby Beach to see the Antony Gormley - Another Place statues.
@Blue Hills .....if you go there and if you have time Formby NT is very nice....lovely walks and lots of red squirrels.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
A bit negative maybe but I found the 'new' museum hard work. I did try it twice tbf and some of it, of course, was interesting. I enjoyed the 'old' museum (apart from a million school kids.........how do they make so much noise:wacko:).
The slavery one is (imo) a must next time you visit.
Hard work how?
One thing I couldn't help but note - it gives us brits a bit of a lashing for the slavery/crimes of empire upon which Liverpool's wealth (for some) was built - I have no issue with this - important context. But in one particular bit it relates some appalling and pretty damn recent (postwar) treatment of some of the chinese community - pretty much enforced repatriation for no apparent good reason - and done in secrecy to boot. But some other bit, in an advertised spirit of growth/inclusiveness and togetherness of peoples goes on about the long-running involvement with higher education co-operation with China. Not a hint that China might be a new empire and has some bloody awful human rights and free speech issues which would trump many of the old supposedly dastardly brits. Could look like double standards/slavish kowtowing to the new master and new money. I suppose they might argue that such criticism is for the chinese to make but I think it's going to be a fair old time before those criticisms will be made. The chinese authorities seem to be fond of talking of head kicking and the like. And I don't see them as champions of academic freedom.

And so the circle turns.

Yep I will visit the slavery museum next time for sure.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Do you ever say anything that isn't some sort of dig against something ? You may not be aware of it, but you seem incapable of saying anything nice or helpful, always just a little bit snidey all the time :sad:

Oh dear, a failure for the infamous Scouse sense of humour.

As others have sense observed, the removal of the heritage site status is an interesting topic for discussion, particularly as the last straw does appear to be the football ground.

Seems to me waiting to see what the ground looks like would have been a wiser course of action.

Football grounds can either enhance or detract from the landscape.

The new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is a magnificent building, inside and out.

However, Sunderland AFC's Stadium of Light does look like an overgrown B&Q warehouse, so is hardly an architectural gem.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
yep I've known about the squirrel reserve for a long time as I was at university with someone from those parts - is it free? Are the squirrels easy to spot?
It is free, yes, at Freshfield - but red squirrels are few and far between now a days, sadly. Nice place for a walk though, through the pine woods

cisamcgu

Legendary Member

As others have sense observed, the removal of the heritage site status is an interesting topic for discussion, particularly as the last straw does appear to be the football ground.

Seems to me waiting to see what the ground looks like would have been a wiser course of action.

Football grounds can either enhance or detract from the landscape.

The new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is a magnificent building, inside and out.

However, Sunderland AFC's Stadium of Light does look like an overgrown B&Q warehouse, so is hardly an architectural gem.
It wasn't about the stadium in particular, but rather your whole approach - but no matter

Clearly Mathew Street is a place to see
When I started working in Liverpool (1981) it was a rather plain back alley with a pub or two (including The Grapes) and the Cavern Club - which was not much really

Except - unseen by nearly everyone - there was the ONLY statue of the Beatles - quite small (maybe 3 foot high) and high up on a wall. Other than that and the name of the club there was no indication that anything had ever happened there.
The old Cavern club was under a small car park

It has changed to a huge extent since then - but the original statue is still there on the wall

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Really don't see why UNESCO have done that. The docks that are being redeveloped for the football ground are out of the way and were very run down.

What do they want - there's nothing of significance there now - you can't live in the past.

I've no interest in football but a stadium might be good for other events too.
Perhaps Unesco wants a few more liverpool sailing types wandering around the area with scurvy to lend that air of authenticity to the visitor experience.

i can't see any good reason for withdrawing the status - the modern ferry/cruise thing was in front of the liver building when it got the status wasn't it?

I get the feeling that scousers will just shake this off. It calls I think for some joyous savage put-down of Unesco by some liverpool band.

Is it possible that behind Unesco's holy glow there is some petty politics partly behind this? Nowt so strange as folk and if a song contest can be turned into a political bunfight ....

Liverpool and Manchester both strike me as superior to London these days in their wealth of historic buildings from their proud past. They have a real atmosphere. Because they were ignored for so long I guess - there wasn't the money to flatten stuff.

Perhaps Unesco wants a few more liverpool sailing types wandering around the area with scurvy to lend that air of authenticity to the visitor experience.

i can't see any good reason for withdrawing the status - the modern ferry/cruise thing was in front of the liver building when it got the status wasn't it?

I get the feeling that scousers will just shake this off. It calls I think for some joyous savage put-down of Unesco by some liverpool band.

Is it possible that behind Unesco's holy glow there is some petty politics partly behind this? Nowt so strange as folk and if a song contest can be turned into a political bunfight ....

Liverpool and Manchester both strike me as superior to London these days in their wealth of historic buildings from their proud past. They have a real atmosphere. Because they were ignored for so long I guess - there wasn't the money to flatten stuff.

Its been on the cards for ~8 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-21658084
so its no real surprise. There has been a lot of development and the cruise terminal "is" new
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54950038
so the new Everton stadium was probably the final straw. This guy gives a fairly reasonable view

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsh5ActNjI&ab_channel=TheGuideLiverpool
Apart from a bit of a knee jerk reaction at the time, most people are not that bothered (not surprisingly).

PaulB

Legendary Member
No, he's got you bang to rights there.

That kind of 'reasoning' is one I've had to face most of my life. An insult masquerading as a joke 'we're' supposed to laugh at and then when it's pointed out to actually be an insult this pathetic 'defence' is brought out. Your snideness is even shown when you can't even write 'famous' because that clearly bothers you so you have to demean it with the two preceding letters.

Top Bottom