Liverpool - stuff to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
The Dead Crafty Beer Company on the corner of Dale St. The Adelphi Hotel is worth a wander around on the ground floor, quite impressive.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The Dead Crafty Beer Company on the corner of Dale St. The Adelphi Hotel is worth a wander around on the ground floor, quite impressive.
I meant to pop in the Adelphi - I wandered in once in the mid 80s on a work visit to Liverpool (well Bootle) - at that time I remember it as a rather odd place - clearly with an illustrious past but by then rather tatty and forgotten. I gather that it has been heavily restored/revamped since/ages ago and that there was maybe a TV doc series about it made - after the revamp?

I saw it from a distance but was detained by a strong beer - I will also check out the Philharmonic and its famous bogs - some woman I knew through work also way back in the 80s told me about the wonder of those. Not sure how close her encounter with them had been - are the Ladies just as impressive?

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I meant to pop in the Aledlphi - I wandered in once in the mid 80s on a work visit to Liverpool (well Bootle) - at that time I remember it as a rather odd place - clearly with an illustrious past but by then rather tatty and forgotten. I gather that it has been heavily restored/revamped since/ages ago and that there was maybe a TV doc series about it made - after the revamp?

I saw it from a distance but was detained by a strong beer - I will also check out the Philharmonic and its famous bogs - some woman I knew through work also way back in the 80s told me about the wonder of those. Not sure how close her encounter with them had been - are the Ladies just as impressive?
I enjoyed a weekend at the Adelphi late 70s just as it was going downhill. Great apart from the lurgy/puking I left with.
Philharmonic ......if you get the chance its a must.

Gent's toilet at The Phil
Screenshot_20211025-150315_Flickr.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
I meant to pop in the Aledlphi - I wandered in once in the mid 80s on a work visit to Liverpool (well Bootle) - at that time I remember it as a rather odd place - clearly with an illustrious past but by then rather tatty and forgotten. I gather that it has been heavily restored/revamped since/ages ago and that there was maybe a TV doc series about it made - after the revamp?

If you're going to be in that area, then I'd strongly recommend the nearby Ye Cracke on Rice Street, a very short walk from the Phil. It's a 19th century pub favoured by John Lennon whose antics pre-Beatles are remembered on the walls in there. He drank in there as it's the nearest pub to the art college he attended. I'll be in there tomorrow night as we're going to see Billy Bragg who's playing at the Philharmonic Hall.

Yeah I'd not waste time in the Adelphi. I think it's pretty much the same as it was in the 80s. Which reminds me - I had a works leaving do in there. Blimey.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yeah I'd not waste time in the Adelphi. I think it's pretty much the same as it was in the 80s. Which reminds me - I had a works leaving do in there. Blimey.
I saw Tom O'Connor there many yonks ago. A very funny man.
Not sure you can see him now though.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
There is review on google, some women complaining there was a bloke using the urinals when she went in to see the architecture, and when she came out she hit her head on the ladies loos sign and had to go to hospital.:laugh:
Not sure why my browser isn't letting me give that a laugh. If a bloke had done that in the ladies he'd be in Twitter hospital and the beeb would be reporting it for two days. Re my question above are the ladies less architecturally notable?

Top Bottom