Liverpool to Leeds on canal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The keys are the ones needed to operate the swing bridges on the canal. All boat users have them.
I had a look for mine, and that too seems to be one of many in a box with no labels on it!!!
I see you are as disorganised as me.
I thought my key was for "facilities", toilets/water supply etc. Can't see that I will have any need to interfere with bridges.

dodgy

Here's a pic of the toilet facility keys, look for ones that match the cutaway.
1599647909756.png

Nope. I've just found it. As wifey said " look where you last had it" so I did, and there it is.

I sometimes think about taking it out with me on my rides that criss cross the canal, and opening all the bridges then riding off.
That would slow the traffic down🤬🤬🤬🤬

OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
If you reported on that here with info on towpath conditions for that stretch, could you please provide a link?
Sorry I didnt report on it, but the section between Barnoldwick to gargrave is just single track through a grass towpath. Its not a purpose made surface and winds around a lot with plenty of gates.
After that its all new surface to Skipton and down to Leeds its mostly stone or tarmac surface with the exception of short spells at silsden.

OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
Im happy to follow folk on strava to see how they get on around the canal.
I will be posting on strava on day of ride......if the battery lasts long enough!!!!

Sorry I didnt report on it, but the section between Barnoldwick to gargrave is just single track through a grass towpath. Its not a purpose made surface and winds around a lot with plenty of gates.
After that its all new surface to Skipton and down to Leeds its mostly stone or tarmac surface with the exception of short spells at silsden.
Yes, I've ridden as far west as Barnoldswick, and would agree. I think in the winter it would be rather messy.
(there was also one absurd hike-a-bike up steep spiral stair onto a bridge - almost impossible for the less healthy/mobile)

Many thanks, have done bits of it, including greenberfield towards gargrave but came off quite soon and took the road to gargrave. Must say i really like the bit near silsden.
With your info am looking forward to doing the gargrave to skipton bit next time i am up there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes brand new crushed stone surface
Loose, or rolled into something that will bind it? They did the Rochdale canal towpath with loose gravel about 20 years ago and it was lethal while it lasted, but eventually all ended up in the canal!

Years later they covered stretches of the Calder Valley Cycleway with crushed stone rolled in. I thought it would end up like the towpath but in fact (to my surprise) it has lasted really well.

OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
Loose, or rolled into something that will bind it? They did the Rochdale canal towpath with loose gravel about 20 years ago and it was lethal while it lasted, but eventually all ended up in the canal!

Years later they covered stretches of the Calder Valley Cycleway with crushed stone rolled in. I thought it would end up like the towpath but in fact (to my surprise) it has lasted really well.
Crushed and rolled with a timber edging

OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
Many thanks, have done bits of it, including greenberfield towards gargrave but came off quite soon and took the road to gargrave. Must say i really like the bit near silsden.
With your info am looking forward to doing the gargrave to skipton bit next time i am up there.
yep its really nice up there if you fancy a bit of a climb whilst there ,try the route up to black pots and back down to canal at five rise!

yep its really nice up there if you fancy a bit of a climb whilst there ,try the route up to black pots and back down to canal at five rise!
I have ridden Keighley to Clitheroe by road, which has some pretty tough climbs (sod all round there is flat) - might be tempted to take the long canal way round next time, coming off at Greenberfield.

Top Bottom