Liverpool to Leeds on canal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
new here but I know this has posts from the past
Im looking for advice about cycling along the canal starting in Liverpool and ending in Leeds
Particularly about the towpath condition from Liverpool to Foulridge tunnel, Ive biked from Barnoldswick to Leeds in the last 2 months so Im aware of the condition along this section.
I keep reading blogs from years ago about how bad it is around Burnley and the broken glass in this section!
Any details on the conditions would be much appreciated

A mate of mine ran it - yes, the whole lot in one go - last year.
He said condition was quite good underfoot. Main problem for cycling will be that we are coming into hedge cutting time and they never sweep up.
Plus the attendant dog walkers and joggers with earphones blasting away.
Oh, don't forget the mud!

Generally speaking the towpath is in good condition. Some of the bridges are quite low and will need care on a bike.

Venod

Eh up
An old club mate did that very ride last week, according to his Facebook posts the towpath is a lot better on the Yorkshire section, but he didn't post any horror stories.

You do know that there are two alternative starting points in Liverpool, don't you?

I "think" I have a key somewhere for all the lock bridges and structure on the canal. Might be useful for calling in a the toilets etc., as there is water etc. in there. IIRC they are easy to obtain, but you have to register and pay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
You do know that there are two alternative starting points in Liverpool, don't you?

I "think" I have a key somewhere for all the lock bridges and structure on the canal. Might be useful for calling in a the toilets etc., as there is water etc. in there. IIRC they are easy to obtain, but you have to register and pay.
ive seen the start point we are looking at (looking to do this as a pair} we will be supported so hopefully not have to worry about food /water supplies!

OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
A mate of mine ran it - yes, the whole lot in one go - last year.
He said condition was quite good underfoot. Main problem for cycling will be that we are coming into hedge cutting time and they never sweep up.
Plus the attendant dog walkers and joggers with earphones blasting away.
Oh, don't forget the mud!

Generally speaking the towpath is in good condition. Some of the bridges are quite low and will need care on a bike.
Looking to do this next year on a friday before a long bank holiday weekend probably May. Hopefully a bit of good weather, I know the yorkshire side I cycle parts of it 3 times a week!

ive seen the start point we are looking at (looking to do this as a pair} we will be supported so hopefully not have to worry about food /water supplies!
My mate ran it as part of an organised event. Started at Eldon Village 6AM on Saturday. He finished at 3PM on Sunday. Non stop of course. One guy took less than 24 hours!!!
I did car support carrying food, drink and encouragement. We were both knackered at the end, but he could sleep while I had to drive back to Liverpool.

OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
My mate ran it as part of an organised event. Started at Eldon Village 6AM on Saturday. He finished at 3PM on Sunday. Non stop of course. One guy took less than 24 hours!!!
I did car support carrying food, drink and encouragement. We were both knackered at the end, but he could sleep while I had to drive back to Liverpool.
We are aiming to stay in Liverpool on the thursday night, so we can set off around 5am and hopefully get to Leeds for 6pm

OP
OP
J

jinxed jools

Regular
I did it 15 years ago (eek) but that's probably not much use for you. It's a great ride though. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's pretty bumpy.
A lots changed on the tow path since then, recent improvements around Gargrave/Skipton section in the last 3 months for instance.

I bought one of these keys a while ago but it was unmarked and I am afraid I am not sure which amongst my many spare keys it is.
Have they by chance stopped using this system?
On a trip cycling in the Dales recently I did a much needed stop at Gargrave locks - pretty sure the toilets weren't locked, though I didn't use them. There was however totally free access to water, which I was really pleased about - much needed on a hot day.

The keys are the ones needed to operate the swing bridges on the canal. All boat users have them.
I had a look for mine, and that too seems to be one of many in a box with no labels on it!!!

Top Bottom