Living alone Christmas tree or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Do you think people buy christmas trees because they look good or because they feel it is the expected thing to do?
Genuine question.
I like them, family likes them, makes it feel festive, marks the period of time so we always jave them, yes them, only 2 this year but normally have 3

david k

Hi
I've decided no Christmas tree this year

Ps and the avatar is back to normal :smile:

boooooo :snowball:

OP
OP
numbnuts

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Luckily I only have to put on a festive face on Christmas day as I will be at my sisters with all her off spring, once that's over I can please myself what I do.
You don't exactly sell yourself do you? :thumbsup:
I find Christmas a very sad time, I see my relations with their children/baby all having a happy time, but I have no one, the last time I saw my daughter was over 25 years ago, she was 3 at the time of our divorce, she doesn't want to know me now, this year I found out that I'm a grand father, by a news cutting in the local paper, so I’ll be glad when Christmas is all over.

david k

Hi
I do not understand why people have lights outside their house, I have seen fully decorated trees in porches where they cannot be seen by the home owners, and lights on trees in gardens where again they won't be seen because the curtains are closed. Why pay electricity for lights you cannot see :scratch:

i used to think like that then the wife made me put some up, im converted now, looks nice as most people put some lights up in the street

david k

Hi
I find Christmas a very sad time, I see my relations with their children/baby all having a happy time, but I have no one, the last time I saw my daughter was over 25 years ago, she was 3 at the time of our divorce, she doesn't want to know me now, this year I found out that I'm a grand father, by a news cutting in the local paper, so I’ll be glad when Christmas is all over.
sorry to hear that mate

david k

Hi
The only way I'd get visitors if I dragged them off the streets as I have no friends, I kidd you not.

Im sure you do mate. Often wondered how it would be to live alone, or move away, like starting again with a new life, Id consider joining cycling clubs, other local clubs to mix with others and build up a new group of friends, I quite like being on my own at times so wouldnt look to fill every minute with people, but a nice mix of company and own time to get your head right is good IMO

andyfraser

Über Member
I've had some good Christmases on my own. I'd put my lights up, eat what I want and watch what I want on TV. I'd buy some of the usual Christmas food items and make turkey curry on Christmas day. I've always been able to be happy on my own though.

OP
OP
numbnuts

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Volunteering at Christmas at a homeless shelter might be a reminder that there are people far lonelier and unhappier than you.
I have considered that option.

Sara_H

Guru
Before I had my son and until he was old enough to inflict enough pester power I didn't put Christmas tree up til Christmas Eve.
But I do live the twinkly lights, so would still have it up for twelve nights.

ayceejay

Guru
Christmas has a significance beyond the symbolism and for some reason puts pressure on people who are quite happy being alone the rest of the year. If getting a tree or whatever relieves this pressure and helps you to avoid depression then go for it. Having experienced this myself and helped a friend through it I find that having a ritual that marks the occasion but doesn't depend on others helps and this could be a tree, mince pies or a glass of sherry while watching the Queens speech.

Top Bottom