Living costs in France (dull but hopefully useful to someone)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
OK I know this is a bit anoraky - bordering on OCD, but I was clearing out from my wallet the receipts collected during a recent trip to France and I thought that rather than just throw them away, it might be helpful to post the costs of some 'typical' items, for people budgetting for a touring in France.

These figures reflect costs in Brittany and are mainly own-brand goods from larger supermarkets. Branded goods would tend to be be more expensive.

Baguette 0.90€
Croissant 0.95€
Coffee 1.10€
Beer (in bar or cafe) 2.20€
Roquefort cheese (200g?) 2.25€
Tomato 0.15€
Saucisson Sec (400g) 4.60€
Soup (500ml carton) 2.02€
Muesli (750g) 2.85€
Can of blanquette de veau (400ml) 2.98€
Moules marinière and chips 9.80€
Jar of rillettes St Jacques 3.50€
4x330ml fruit juices 2.49€
400ml can of pot au feu 3.39€
250ml of clothes washing gel 1.35€
1 litre alcool à bruler 1.45€
Saucisson sec (200g) 2.15€
Demi baguette 0.28€
Ready-made sandwich (jambon fromage) 3€

Campsite prices varied from 5€ to 12.5€ a night with the average probably around 7€ (price based on one person with tent no electricity). The cheapest sites were private sites - as was the most expensive. Municipal sites ranged from 5.70€ to 11 and a bit.

Yes I know, pretty dull, but hopefully useful to someone.

earthuman

Yes... a little OCD, but very helpful. Thanks taking the time to put this together!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, that's useful. The only other thing I'd add is a bottle of Orangina (I can't remember what we paid for them though). Cycling through France in hot weather, a cold Orangina really hits the spot alongside your jambon/fromage sandwich at lunchtime.

It's like Guinness, it's much nicer in it's native land than it is here.

yello

I have to admit to being a fan of peach flavoured ice tea. It's commonly available and seems to have that same 'hit the spot' quality.

That's a black coffee I'd guess. A grand crème is around €2 - €2.50 depending where you are.

Penfold

Looks a damn sight cheaper than Mallorca....I just got back after a ten day holiday and WOW its expensive.....Spar supermarket had packs of 3 Tomatos at
€2:15...100grm jar of Coffee €9:00....Really had to search out any bargains....

yello

It's a damned good list really. Very useful. We could do with such a list for other countries, maybe as a sticking in the touring forum. Just to give an idea rather than anything definitive.

asterix

Comrade Member
Meat is very expensive. My expat neighbours have bought two pigs to keep in their piggery until xmas. One is called 'fridge' and t'other is 'freezer'.

After they get them back from the abattoir they intend to butcher the carcases themselves, and also make black pudding from the blood.

chap

Veteran
Excellent, I am particularly interested in the Camp sites, do they have secure locks / garages fr pricey bikes and equipment? Where are they, any recommendation?

yello

chap said:
do they have secure locks / garages fr pricey bikes and equipment?

Not specifically, not least in my experience. Some of the 'state' campsites (I've forgotten the correct term! the non-private ones!) are not even attended 24hrs a day.

But you could always ask if there's a shed or some such to keep a bike in overnight. I have chained my bike to fence posts etc but often didn't bother at all.

tourdottk

yello said:
It's a damned good list really. Very useful. We could do with such a list for other countries.
We've been working on lists like this... you can find them (not complete yet, but working on it) on our site www.tour.tk under country information. If there is anybody out there that wants to help fill in the blanks, please be our guests :biggrin:
Cheers from Tarapoto, Peru,
Ali

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The "state" ones are camping municipal, usually run by the town council. Theory is that they pay their way by encoraging visitors to the area.

There will be a staff member present in the morning for leavers and the afternoon for booking in. Cleaners do the bogs etc around midday while most guests are out doing the sights. Stayed in loads of them: most brilliant, the odd one would not be first choice for a return visit but none are blacklisted. The one at Falaise in Normandy is particularly good.

If you want 24hour service you have to pay for it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
tourdottk said:
We've been working on lists like this... you can find them (not complete yet, but working on it) on our site www.tour.tk under country information. If there is anybody out there that wants to help fill in the blanks, please be our guests :smile:
Cheers from Tarapoto, Peru,
Ali

That's a great site for the country info, Ali. Obviously, it will be better for having updates.

tourdottk

rich p said:
That's a great site for the country info, Ali. Obviously, it will be better for having updates.
Hi Rich, all the info present at the moment is from 2009 and we have contacts in all the countries that we've visited so far (38), so we can regularly update the stuff. The only thing is, that we need to fill all the other countries... (162 more)
Ali

Top Bottom