Living in a vehicle full time... serious replies please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's someone living in a transit van with a table, water barrel and a few other bit piled outside in a sort of layby about half a mile from Lepe beach, he's been there for at least several months. I'm really surprised he's not been moved on as it's within the New Forest national park boundary.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Someone has probably put their training sessions for this on Youtube [Rule 34 applies]

You can also get urine separators to put on top of yr bucket.

Even saw a sparkly one online the other day..

Nope, I have zero idea why you would want a sparkly one either :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you mean over the registering of vehicles (vans) as Motorhomes/Campervans, I assume it is because Motorhomes (if less than 3.5Tonne) occupy a sort of niche, similar to a car. This impacts the VED, speed limits, MOT Regime and probably other things I have forgotten. I assume it is to prevent "smart" commercial van owners "exploiting" this niche.

Though the need has gone now, but I know someone who went to quite a lot of trouble to get a panel van, somewhat dubiously, registered as a camper van to avoid the then big toll fees on the Severn Bridge. Another friend had to pay the full commercial vehicle fee for her mini van, ie the van version of the old mini, a tiny vehicle, whereas someone in a huge truck sized camper would only pay a fiver

My daughter and her husband live in Wales and have a transit with a window & bed in the back, so not a motor home under the old toll bridge rules, but they'd always make sure she was driving when crossing the bridge 'cos invariably they'd let her go through as one, whereas if he was driving they almost always insisted he pay the much higher commercial vehicle rate.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
There's someone living in a transit van with a table, water barrel and a few other bit piled outside in a sort of layby about half a mile from Lepe beach, he's been there for at least several months. I'm really surprised he's not been moved on as it's within the New Forest national park boundary.

There's a few vans parked up in a local viewpoint car park, they've been there for quite a few weeks now, it appears that they intend to stay for quite some time.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Homelessness and affordable rent and property are a huge problem, in Bristol there are many people living in Vans, parked on residential streets, it's happening right now, councils know about it but aren't doing anything to help. I hope your friend finds a way out of his difficult situation soon.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/residents-van-dwellers-clifton-down-4715645

https://www.vice.com/en/article/d3nebk/van-living-van-life-uk
he's not in a difficult situation... that's why I think it's a bit harebrained. There's nothing stopping his renting somewhere. He has a job and earns enough, has enough in savings for first month's rent and deposit.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
he's not in a difficult situation... that's why I think it's a bit harebrained. There's nothing stopping his renting somewhere. He has a job and earns enough, has enough in savings for first month's rent and deposit.

You sure he's not just winding you up ??

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Nah. Known him for nigh on 30 years. This is just the latest in a string of not very logical endeavours.

Probs best not to worry too much then - he'll find out all this stuff out for himself soon enough..

I mean he's not your kid is he ??

But even then - they have to make these discoveries for themselves.. :angel:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Could he stretch to a caravan and get a tow bar on his car? You can pick up an old one for not very much money- then at least he has a warm er base to start from.

If he gets a Canal and Waterways Trust key he can have access to facilities on the canal system for showers, toilets, fresh water and laundry rooms... some have cafes too for when it's really cold..

Could he stretch to a caravan and get a tow bar on his car? You can pick up an old one for not very much money- then at least he has a warm er base to start from.

If he gets a Canal and Waterways Trust key he can have access to facilities on the canal system for showers, toilets, fresh water and laundry rooms... some have cafes too for when it's really cold..

you can also buy a key that gets you the use of disabled toilets, I have both for those trips where I don’t want to leave a fully laden bike outside whilst taking care of ablutions

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, way back when I was a student, I worked daahhn Sarf in Larndarn as a roofer's assistant. Slept in a transit van.

To echo many of the posts, yes, you can do it, yes, a couple of days is bearable, no it is not a long term solution if it can be avoided. The biggest issues without a doubt are toilet accessibility -particularly for number twos! - and water for washing hands and body. I'm sure after a while a nice hot cooked meal would be missed too if you don't have some form of stove.

Not recommended.

Top Bottom