Lizard Skin Bar Tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I found the Lizard Skin tape went through to the underlying fabric layer on the bar shoulders the same as the OP, though I got more than 450 miles out of it. Widget tape lasted longer, but not enormously so.
I like silicone tape in use, so I'm now trying T-One Mr Fantastic, as found in my LBS. Drawbacks so far seem to be that it's only in light colours, and it doesn't clean up as well as it did when new. "Have they got any in black?", I asked the LBS man, so he checked the importer website and came back with "discontinued". Daft if you ask me :sad:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You can find Widget on eBay for a good price . It is premium priced like Lizard Skins And comes with posh, hex key bar ends with a nice little logo for detail.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I've had my Camo 3.2mm tape on for 800 miles and it's as good as new. I much prefer it's feel to any other on the market.

I don't usually wear gloves when riding though - could it be that your gloves are rubbing the tape through?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
My bike just got absolutely soaked sat outside in a downpour and hail storm. Rain stopped. 40 minutes riding on the lizard skin tape and the suede palms of my mitts aren’t even damp

dhd.evans

Veteran
I agree with @si_c , it is my preferred tape.

I have used the LifeLine stuff from wiggle and Fizik tape on my bars and neither is particularly durable, comfortable or good value for money IMHO.

The current Fizik stuff i have on (circumstance rather than preference) looks like yours after about 5 months of use.

I agree with others above that this may be a faulty batch.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I think I've seen it written that you shouldn't stretch Lizard Skins as you wrap it, like you would for normal tape. It causes delamination.

Might explain why it lasts well for some people and poorly for others.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
In my case, I'd seen that recommendation before fitting it (in the instructions, or on the back of the pack, iirc), and took care not to stretch it.
It didn't help noticeably.

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Hi Guy's thanks for all your replies and alternative bar tape suggestions. My Cube Agree C:62 SL is in team Wanty colours for the year hence the bright florescent orange bar tape, strangely when checking out some suppliers what looks like bright orange is titled as RED????

RobinS

Veteran
I was complaining about the original bar tape on my five year old Revolution tourer wearing out, but worked out it had lasted in excess of 15000km - going on for 10,000 miles. If it lasted just 500miles I would need to replace it nine times in a single tour! - So if anyone can recommend some new tape good for 10,000 miles plus?

mangid

Guru
I was complaining about the original bar tape on my five year old Revolution tourer wearing out, but worked out it had lasted in excess of 15000km - going on for 10,000 miles. If it lasted just 500miles I would need to replace it nine times in a single tour! - So if anyone can recommend some new tape good for 10,000 miles plus?

I use Cinelli Cork (black), normally replace once a year which is ~18,000 miles. Stays looking good, doesn't loosen up, and the only wear at the moment is on the very edge where it is the thinnest. Spent too long this morning staring at as I trundled along
20191019_172629.jpg

--
Dan

pclay

Veteran
I’m using 2.5mm lizard skins on my winter bike. 2 and a half years later, 3800 miles, and it’s still looking fine.

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Good news chaps, I emailed Chain Reaction Cycles from whom I purchased the Lizard Skin bar tape along with the circumstances and the two photographs a published on here and they are going to refund me the purchase price of £25.99 Thank You CRC just hope they stock a replacement bar tape that members on here recommend?

Top Bottom